Snappers Comeback Spoiled By Late Home Run
EASTLAKE, OH - The Beloit Snappers (53-63) rallied back from a 6-0 deficit to tie the game on Wednesday, but Lake County Captains (63-53) pinch-hitter Raynel Delgado launched a go-ahead two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth to hand Beloit an 8-6 loss.
The Snappers gave up three runs in each of the first two innings to the Captains, falling behind 6-0., but Beloit rallied back over the middle portion of the game.
The Snappers scored in the top of the third inning on a wild pitch, bringing in Devin Hairston to get on the board. Down by five, Bennett Hostetler scored after an error by Captains' first baseman Joe Naranjo in the top of the fourth. The Snappers plated a pair in the sixth inning on a Hostetler double and an error. Hostetler continued his offensive contribution with a run in seventh on a wild pitch to make it a 6-5 game. In a one run game with two outs in the top of the eighth, Ricky Aracena crushed a 2-1 pitch to right field, hitting his third home run of the season, to tie the game at 6-6.
Eli Villalobos came out of the bullpen for the Snappers and gave up a one-out single and struck a batter out. With two outs, Lake County manager Greg DiCenzo pulled Delgado off the bench, and he hammered the first pitch he saw over the right field berm, giving the Captains an 8-6 lead.
Beloit had a chance in the ninth inning. A pair of two-out hits by the Snappers put the tying run at second base. The Captains went to the bullpen for the final out, and Nick Gallagher retired Thomas Jones to secure an 8-6 win.
Beloit's Top Performers: Hostetler had three hits in the losing effort: two doubles and a single. Johnston logged his second straight multi-hit game with three hits. Aracena went 2-for-4 with a home run and a double. Cody Mincey pitched 3 1/3 innings scoreless out of the bullpen.
The Snappers square off in Eastlake again versus the Lake County Captains on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Loons Remain a Game out with 4-2 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps Split Two in Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Bash Four in Cubs Loss - South Bend Cubs
- Quality Pitching, Timely Hitting Lifts Chiefs to Victory - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Deal Great Lakes a Hall of Pain - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lopez Homers in Loss to Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Defeat Fort Wayne, Guarantee Winning Record in 2021 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Information: September 15 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Comeback Spoiled By Late Home Run - Beloit Snappers
- Delgado's Pinch Hit Blast Lifts Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Loons Announce 2022 Schedule - Great Lakes Loons
- Infielder Jordan Díaz activated from the Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Announce Pick-A-Seat Event for September 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rave Caps Three-Hit Game with Walk-Off over Cubs - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Flick-Or-Treat Movie Night at ABC Supply Stadium October 30
- ABC Supply Stadium to Host UW-Whitewater Baseball Exhibition Games - October 15 and 17
- Snappers Spoil Captains Playoff Bid With 5-3 Win
- Snappers' Bats Stifled In 4-0 Loss
- Snappers Hit Three Home Runs In 8-3 Win