Lopez Homers in Loss to Dayton
DAYTON, Ohio -- The Fort Wayne TinCaps dropped their second game in a row to the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate) on Wednesday night at Day Air Ballpark, falling 9-2.
The Dragons (61-55) struck early on a two-run double from No. 17 Reds prospect Allan Cerda in the bottom of the first. Cerda, through six games against the TinCaps heading into Wednesday's tilt, was hitting .440 with an OPS over 1.300.
The TinCaps (54-62) cut the deficit in half in the top of the second with a solo home run for shortstop Justin Lopez. With former TinCap Agustin Ruiz now up with Double-A San Antonio, Lopez's 10th blast of the year extended his active team-lead.
After Dayton scored an insurance run in the third on an RBI double from third baseman Juan Martinez, Fort Wayne again trimmed the deficit to one on an RBI sacrifice bunt from No. 13 Padres prospect Euribiel Angeles.
From the fifth through the seventh, Dayton extended their lead from 3-2 all the way to 9-2. In the fifth, three walks and a bases-loaded balk plated their fourth run of the game. The sixth brought an RBI groundout from second baseman Ivan Johnson. And in the seventh, a a pair of home runs opened the floodgates for the Dragons. The latter was a three-run shot by No. 3 Reds prospect Matt McLain.
After walking a season-high 10 hitters on Tuesday night, Fort Wayne's pitching staff walked nine more on Wednesday.
Next Game: Thursday, Sept. 16 at Dayton (7:05 p.m.)Fort Wayne Probable Starter: LHP Danny DenzDayton Probable Starter: RHP James Marinan
Watch: MiLB.TV (FREE)
Listen: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Loons Remain a Game out with 4-2 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps Split Two in Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Bash Four in Cubs Loss - South Bend Cubs
- Quality Pitching, Timely Hitting Lifts Chiefs to Victory - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Deal Great Lakes a Hall of Pain - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lopez Homers in Loss to Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Defeat Fort Wayne, Guarantee Winning Record in 2021 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Information: September 15 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Comeback Spoiled By Late Home Run - Beloit Snappers
- Delgado's Pinch Hit Blast Lifts Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Loons Announce 2022 Schedule - Great Lakes Loons
- Infielder Jordan Díaz activated from the Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Announce Pick-A-Seat Event for September 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rave Caps Three-Hit Game with Walk-Off over Cubs - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.