Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Wednesday
Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021 l Game # 116
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 7:05 p.m.
Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Fort Wayne TinCaps (54-61) at Dayton Dragons (60-55)
RH Gabe Mosser (4-7, 4.19) vs. RH Thomas Farr (no record)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Fort Wayne TinCaps (affiliate of the San Diego Padres) in the second game of a six-game series. This is the final series of the regular season.
2021 Season Series: Dayton 11, Fort Wayne 8. (At Dayton: Dragons 5, TinCaps 2). Current Series: Dayton 1, Fort Wayne 0.
Last Game: Tuesday: Dayton 10, Fort Wayne 2. Michael Siani and Allan Cerda hit home runs, Matt McLain added a three-run double, and Dayton pitchers combined to shutout Fort Wayne over the first eight innings. The Dragons led 9-0 after three innings. Christian Roa earned the win with five scoreless frames. Juan Martinez reached base five times, going 3 for 3 with two walks.
High-A Central League Playoffs: Major League Baseball has announced that leagues at three classifications, including the High-A Central League, will conduct playoffs in September. The top two teams in each league, regardless of division, will meet in a best-of-five series.
Playoff Race: The Dragons are three games behind Cedar Rapids in the race for the #2 seed in the 2021 post-season with five games to play.
Salazar and a Possible ERA Title: Former Dragons starting pitcher Eduardo Salazar now leads the High-A Central League in earned run average and has compiled enough innings in the league to meet the minimum number to qualify over a full 120-game season (96 IP is the minimum for the season; Salazar has 98). Salazar, now on the injured list at Double-A Chattanooga, compiled an ERA with the Dragons of 3.49. The second ranked pitcher in the league is Peoria's Wilfredo Pereira at 3.53. Pereira needs another 4.1 innings to reach 96 IP for the year and has one more start. If he throws 4.1 innings and allows one earned run or less, he would overtake Salazar. Only one pitcher in Dragons history has led the league in ERA: Josh Hall in 2001 at 2.65. In 2015, Tyler Mahle finished the season with an ERA of 2.43, the same as Peoria's Matt Pearce. When their ERA's were extended to a third decimal point, Mahle lost the title with a mark of 2.428 to Pearce's ERA of 2.426.
Jacob Hurtubise is hitting .382 (13 for 34) over his last 12 games.
Matt McLain is hitting .324 (12 for 37) over his last 12 games. He has also drawn eight walks.
Andy Fisher over his last 10 relief appearances: 18 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 7 BB, 23 SO, 2.00 ERA, 1-0, 1 Sv.
Stevie Branche since joining the Dragons: 11 G, 17 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 11 BB, 27 SO, 1.06 ERA, 2-0, 1 Sv.
Vin Timpanelli over his last eight relief appearances: 10.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 22 SO, 3 Sv. Opponents are 2 for 34 with 22 Ks.
Jake Gilbert since rejoining the Dragons on August 31: 5 G, 8 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 8 SO, 1.13 ERA, 1-0, 1 Sv.
The Dragons lead the High-A Central League in team ERA in the month of September, at 3.08 (13 games). They also lead the league in lowest opponent batting average (.171) and strikeouts (144 in 108 innings).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Thur., Sept. 16 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne LH Danny Denz (0-2, 2.62) at Dayton RH James Marinan (1-0, 0.00)
Fri., Sept. 17 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne LH Noel Vela (0-2, 2.97) at Dayton RH Carson Spiers (5-4, 3.86)
Sat., Sept. 18 (7:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne TBA at Dayton RH James Proctor (0-1, 4.38) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sun., Sept. 19 (2:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne RH Connor Lehmann (3-4, 8.64) at Dayton RH Christian Roa (2-2, 3.86) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Loons Remain a Game out with 4-2 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps Split Two in Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Bash Four in Cubs Loss - South Bend Cubs
- Quality Pitching, Timely Hitting Lifts Chiefs to Victory - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Deal Great Lakes a Hall of Pain - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lopez Homers in Loss to Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Defeat Fort Wayne, Guarantee Winning Record in 2021 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Information: September 15 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Comeback Spoiled By Late Home Run - Beloit Snappers
- Delgado's Pinch Hit Blast Lifts Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Loons Announce 2022 Schedule - Great Lakes Loons
- Infielder Jordan Díaz activated from the Injured List - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Announce Pick-A-Seat Event for September 29 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rave Caps Three-Hit Game with Walk-Off over Cubs - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday