Six Stampede Players Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game
Sioux Falls, S.D. - The United States Hockey League (USHL) and NHL Central Scouting announced Thursday that six Sioux Falls Stampede players will compete at the 2019 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. The game will take place at the Ice Box in Lincoln, Neb. on Jan. 8, 2019. Sioux Falls will have the most players represented of any team in the league for the first time in the showcase's history.
The players include defensemen Ryan Johnson and forwards Jami Krannila (Yah-ME KRAN-nil-la), Andre Lee, Ethan Phillips, Anthony Romano (Row-MAN-oh) and Austen Swankler. All players will represent the Western Conference in the contest.
Johnson, a six-foot-four, 162-pound defenseman, has played in 18 games this season with eight points (1g, 7a). A native of Irvine, Calif., Johnson ranks fourth among USHL rookie defensemen in scoring this season and was recently selected to compete with Team USA at the World Jr. A Challenge. He currently holds a B-rated skater ranking from NHL Central Scouting, meaning he has the potential to be drafted in rounds two or three of the 2019 NHL Draft.
Krannila, a five-foot-nine, 159-pound forward and native of Pori, Finland, has played in all 19 games this season with 14 points (6g, 8a). He is committed to play collegiate hockey at St. Cloud State University. Krannila holds a C-rated skater ranking with the potential to be draft between rounds four and seven.
Lee, a native of Karlstad, Sweden and University of Mass-Lowell commit, has played in 18 games with 10 points (7g, 3a). His seven goals are the most on the team. He was recently given a C-rated skater rating on the NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch list.
Phillips has played in seven games with 11 points (2g, 9a). He has tallied a point in every game played thus far, including four multi-point games. He also leads all rookie forwards in points scored per game with 1.57. Phillips began the season with the Selects Academy 18U squad, registering 19 points (9g, 10a) in 21 games. He holds a C-rated skater rating and is committed to Boston University.
Romano, a five-foot-ten, 188-pound forward, has skated in 19 games this season with 12 points (6g, 6a). A native of Vaughn, Ontario, Romano is committed to play collegiate hockey at Clarkson University. He is a B-rated skater.
Swankler, who recently joined the team in a trade with the Waterloo Black Hawks, has played in 19 games, four with the Stampede, and has registered 12 points (3g, 9a). Swankler has a B-rated skater rating and is committed to the University of Michigan.
The USHL/NHL Top Prospects game is an annual showcase of the top NHL draft eligible prospects in the USHL selected by NHL general managers and scouts, NHL Central Scouting and USHL general managers. Sioux Falls recently hosted the contest in 2017.
The Stampede return to action on Saturday against the Sioux City Musketeers at the Tyson Events Center with puck drop scheduled at 7:05 p.m. Fans can listen live at Kelo.com (1320 AM, 107.9 FM) or stream at HockeyTV.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2018
- Waterloo Teammates, International Competitors - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Defenseman Taylor Commits to Clarkson - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Military Night Jersey Auction Saturday - Green Bay Gamblers
- Pregame Primer: Saints Motor to Muskegon for Two Game Set - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- NTDP Weekly: December 3-9 - U.S. National Team
- 2 Riders Named to USHL/NHL Prosepcts Game - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Former Phantoms Named to Preliminary Team USA World Junior Championship Roster - Youngstown Phantoms
- Four Musketeers Selected to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Sioux City Musketeers
- Six Stampede Players Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Frisch & Giroday Named to USHL Top Prospects Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- Pinto Selected to Top Prospects Game - Lincoln Stars
- Waterloo Prospects Going to January Event - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Four Fighting Saints Selected for Top Prospects Game - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Prokop Named to 2019 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Roster - Omaha Lancers
- Mastrosimone Named to Top Prospects Game - Chicago Steel
- Five Bucs Named to 2018 USHL Top Prospects Game Roster - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Nodler and Fiedler Selected to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Fargo Force
- 2019 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Rosters Announced - USHL
- Three Flying Aces Selected to 2019 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Central Illinois Flying Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.