Simpson's Heroics Lift Cleburne Past 'Dogs
CLEBURNE, Tex. - An RBI double from Chase Simpson in the bottom of the eighth inning provided the necessary separation, as the Cleburne Railroaders downed the Lincoln Saltdogs 3-2 on Wednesday night at The Depot. The victory ensured the Railroaders seventh consecutive series win, extending the team's franchise record.
Simpson's two-bagger capped a big night at the plate for the former Saltdogs infielder. Simpson gave Cleburne (32-24) a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with a sacrifice fly, then added a two-out double in the third. His go-ahead double in the eighth came against Lincoln reliever Austin Pettibone (1-3), scoring Daniel Robertson, who started the inning with a hit by pitch.
The Railroaders led 2-0 following a second inning RBI double from Grant Buck, a lead that appeared to be more than enough for Jesus Sanchez. The Cleburne starter was dominant through six shutout frames, but surrendered a solo home run to Cody Regis in the seventh that trimmed the advantage to 2-1. The Saltdogs (25-31) then tied the game in the eighth against Nefi Ogando (3-3) on an RBI single from Forrestt Allday, but Ogando managed to strand two more on a ground out from Curt Smith.
Sanchez finished with a tough-luck no-decision, allowing just the one run on five hits while striking out four. He did not issue a walk, and needed only 81 pitches to complete seven innings.
John Brownell also escaped without a decision for Lincoln, giving up two runs on five hits over seven innings.
Tyler Wilson picked up his 14th save with a scoreless top of the ninth, pitching around a pair of two-out baserunners to preserve the win.
Cleburne and Lincoln conclude their series on Thursday night at 7:06 PM. Stephen Johnson (3-1, 4.36) gets the ball for the Railroaders, while the Saltdogs counter with fellow righty Shairon Martis (2-4, 6.18).
For information on partnerships, season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Railroaders main office at (817) 945-8705, or visit the Railroaders official website at www.railroaderbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 17, 2019
- Simpson's Heroics Lift Cleburne Past 'Dogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Sinibaldi, Willis Guide Gary to 5-1 Win over Fargo-Moorhead - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones March to Victory in Pitchers Duel - Kansas City T-Bones
- No Comeback this Time, Saints Fall 2-1 to T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Milkmen off to a Good Start on Road Trip - Milwaukee Milkmen
- RailCats Sign Valparaiso Native Dougherty to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Offense Sputters in First Ever Game Against Milwaukee, Falls 10-2 - Texas AirHogs
- Heartbreak City, Minnesota - Kansas City T-Bones
- Arroyo, Barnum Lead Dogs to Win over X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Josh Allen Hits Walk-Off Grand Slam in 9-7 Win over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Score Nine Two-Out Runs in Win over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Barnum's Blasts Power Dogs To Win Over Explorers - Chicago Dogs
- Coulter Homers in Birds Loss at Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.