Shrimp Power Past Smokies 4-2
KODAK, Tenn. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (59-62, 30-21) defeated the Tennessee Smokies (50-71, 17-35) by a 4-2 score in the second game of the five-game series at Smokies Stadium on Wednesday night.
Jacksonville right-handed relief pitcher Alex Mateo (1-0) earned the win despite allowing the tying run in the bottom of the sixth. Tennessee right-handed relief pitcher Jake Stinnett (1-5) took the loss, allowing Jacksonville's go-ahead runs in the seventh inning. Jacksonville right-handed relief pitcher Tommy Eveld earned his seventh save of the year by pitching a scoreless ninth inning.
Stone Garrett's two-run home run in the top of the second inning started the scoring, as Jacksonville built a 2-0 lead. Tennessee answered back in the bottom of the fourth inning with a solo home run by Vimael Machin to cut Jacksonville's lead to 2-1. The Smokies tied the game at 2-2 with two outs in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single by Christian Donahue.
The tie game did not last for long. In the top of the seventh inning, Jacksonville's Jazz Chisholm powered out a two-run home run to right field to give the Jumbo Shrimp a 4-2 lead, which would be the final.
Jacksonville right-handed starting pitcher Jorge Guzman picked up a no decision. In his five innings of work he allowed just one run (earned) on two hits with three walks and three strikeouts, and 17 of his last 18 innings have been scoreless. Tennessee left-handed starting pitcher Luis Lugo also had a no decision, working five and two-thirds innings where he allowed two runs (both earned) on five hits with a walk and seven strikeouts.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Smokies will continue the series with the third game of the five-game set at Smokies Stadium on Thursday night at 7 p.m. Right-handed pitcher Sixto Sanchez (8-4, 2.61 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Tennessee right-handed pitcher Cory Abbott (6-8, 3.56 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 6:45 p.m. with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Under a Full Moon, a Loss for the Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shrimp Power Past Smokies 4-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biloxi and Mobile Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Biloxi Shuckers
- Mississippi Braves Welcome 3 Millionth Fan to Trustmark Park on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Wednesday's BayBears Game at Biloxi Postponed Due to Rain - Mobile BayBears
- De La Cruz, M-Braves Shut Down Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Bats Go Quiet in Loss to M-Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Generals Gameday: August 14 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Last Lookouts Home Series of 2019 Starts Friday, August 23 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Former Atlanta Braves Outfielder Lane Adams Joins M-Braves Roster - Mississippi Braves
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 14 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp's "The Lion King" Family Movie Night Set for Saturday
- Jumbo Shrimp Announce Staff Hirings and Promotions
- Jumbo Shrimp's "The Lion King" Family Movie Night Set for November 23
- Jumbo Shrimp Help Package 50,000 Meals for Rise against Hunger
- Mesa Earns 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award