Generals Gameday: August 14 vs. Montgomery
Jackson Generals (68-50 Overall, 29-19 2nd Half)
Vs. Montgomery Biscuits (77-44, 33-18 2nd Half)
Wednesday, August 14 | 6:05 pm CT | Game 119 | 2nd Half Game 49
Generals SP: RHP Matt Peacock (8-4, 2.56 ERA)
Opponent SP: RHP Joe Ryan (Double-A debut)
LAST GAME: Jackson, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, were fed a dose of their own medicine by the Montgomery Biscuits on Tuesday, dropping a 5-2 series opener at The Ballpark at Jackson. The Generals (68-50, 29-19 Second Half) fell two-and-a-half games behind Montgomery (77-44, 33-18) in the North Division race for the Second Half title. Full Recap: JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com
TODAY'S PITCHING MATCHUP: Right-hander Matt Peacock will try to even the series against a team that he dominated in early July. Peacock threw seven innings against the Biscuits back on July 2, allowing one unearned run on three hits. He remains the top-ranked MILB pitcher in groundball rate (68.6%), two spots ahead of teammate Josh Green (65.5%). Montgomery's Joe Ryan makes his Double-A debut after throwing brilliantly for Low-A Bowling Green and High-A Charlotte. Ryan, a 7th round draft pick in 2018, has 159 strikeouts with just 23 walks this year in 21 games with a 1.79 ERA.
AND THE NOMINEES ARE: As voting time nears for the Southern League's Postseason All-Stars, the Generals have some cases for inclusion (August 14):
>>C Daulton Varsho (93 G) leads the SL in runs (69), OPS (.874), and the advanced metric wOBA (.395) while playing a premier defensive position.
>>1B/OF Pavin Smith (107 G) ranks among the league's top 10 in hits (108), doubles (24), triples (5), RBI (54), walks (51), and OPS (.803).
>>3B Drew Ellis (108 G) tops the circuit with 58 walks and is only player in the top 10 in the league for walks, RBI (56), and runs scored (54). He's also 6th in doubles (22).
>>OF Jamie Westbrook (98 G) was promoted to Reno at the end of July, but he holds top-10 marks in homers (13), RBI (59), and OPS (.787).
>>RHP Matt Peacock (17 G) ranks in the league's top 5 in ERA (2.56), wins (8), WHIP (1.15), and 8th in BAA (.227). Peacock leads all of MILB in groundball rate (68.6%).
>>LHP Miguel Aguilar (21 G) has the most holds (7) in the SL since his arrival on June 1. He's the only active SL pitcher with at least 10 combined holds and saves in that span, and he's done it while posting a 1.75 ERA.
ALL-STAR 2020: On July 29, the Jackson Generals announced that they would play host to the 2020 Southern League All-Star Game at The Ballpark at Jackson, their first All-Star Game since 2011. Manager Blake Lalli was a participant in that 2011 game, which the North Division won 6-3. (CLICK: 2020 SL ASG release)
Willie Nelson/Alison Krauss Tickets Link
WILLIE NELSON & ALISON KRAUSS, LIVE IN JACKSON!
Tickets for Tuesday, September 17th's Willie Nelson/Alison Krauss concert at The Ballpark at Jackson are on sale now by phone, in person, and on our website at JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com. Don't miss seeing these 2 stars!
ALL THE KIDS ARE DOING IT: The Junior Generals Kids Club has been completely revamped for 2019, with over 300 participants already signed up! New achievement levels are in place, with rewards given to the most loyal fans. Get the most out of your child's time at The Ballpark - sign them up today!
Kids Club 2019 Link
|GENERALS TICKETS SUMMARY|
General Admission (GA): $6 in advance, $8 on game day
Reserved Seating: $10 in advance, $12 on game day
Group Picnics: $7/person (plus food) for 15+ people; $6/person for 100+
Suites/Party Decks: Please call the front office for pricing & availability.
Belly Buster Monday Nights:
$16 bottomless popcorn, hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, soda & nachos
$1 Dollar Thursday Nights:
$1 tickets, hot dogs, popcorn, and soda; $1 beer for age 21+
Generals partner with a local non-profit for in-game promotion; call us for details!
The 2019 baseball season is here! Get your tickets today: dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Under a Full Moon, a Loss for the Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shrimp Power Past Smokies 4-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biloxi and Mobile Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Biloxi Shuckers
- Mississippi Braves Welcome 3 Millionth Fan to Trustmark Park on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Wednesday's BayBears Game at Biloxi Postponed Due to Rain - Mobile BayBears
- De La Cruz, M-Braves Shut Down Barons on Wednesday - Mississippi Braves
- Bats Go Quiet in Loss to M-Braves - Birmingham Barons
- Generals Gameday: August 14 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Last Lookouts Home Series of 2019 Starts Friday, August 23 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Former Atlanta Braves Outfielder Lane Adams Joins M-Braves Roster - Mississippi Braves
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 14 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Jerry "The King" Lawler to Host 50th Anniversary Event in Jackson
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Snoop Dogg and Twista Concert Postponed
- A June Update from the Jackson Generals
- Baseball Is Back: the Ballpark at Jackson to Host High School Baseball Tournaments