Shrimp Fall to Generals 7-2
JACKSON, Tenn. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (66-70, 37-29) fell to the Jackson Generals (77-57, 38-26) by a 7-2 score in the second game of the five-game series at The Ballpark at Jackson on Friday night.
Jackson right-handed relief pitcher Sam Lewis (4-3) earned the victory, working a scoreless seventh inning. Jacksonville right-handed relief pitcher C.J. Carter (0-1) took the loss, working one inning where he allowed five runs (all earned) on four hits with two walks and two strikeouts, giving up a pair of home runs.
Jackson started the scoring in the bottom of the first inning on a solo home run with Ben DeLuzio to take a 1-0 lead. The Jumbo Shrimp responded with a two-run top of the second, highlighted by an RBI single by Riley Mahan before Stone Garrett scored when J.C. Millan hit into a double play to put the Shrimp in front 2-1. The Generals tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the third on an RBI groundout by Seth Beer.
The game remained tied until the Generals scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh. Ryan Grotjohn hit a solo home run to right to put Jackson in front 3-2. This was followed by a Camden Duzenack solo homer to grow the lead to 4-2. L.T. Tolbert added an RBI double to make it 5-2, before a Daulton Varsho RBI single put the lead at 6-2. Pavin Smith brought in the final run of the rally with a sacrifice fly to grow the lead to 7-2, which would be the final.
Jumbo Shrimp left-handed starting pitcher Trevor Rogers had a no decision, working five innings where he allowed two runs (all earned) on three hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
The loss eliminates Jacksonville from the second half South Division pennant race, as the Biloxi Shuckers clinched the title and will face the wild card Pensacola Blue Wahoos in next week's South Division Championship Series.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Generals will continue their series with the third game of the five-game set on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. eastern. Right-handed pitcher Edward Cabrera (4-1, 2.45 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Jackson right-handed pitcher Emilio Vargas (5-3, 3.78 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 6:50 p.m. eastern with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Smokies Come Back to Stun BayBears, 5-4 - Tennessee Smokies
- Doubleheader Split Enough for Blue Wahoos to Clinch - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Stellar Pitching Aids Barons Swift Comeback - Birmingham Barons
- Lookouts' Ninth Inning Rally Dooms M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Homers by Grotjohn, Duzenack Lead Generals to 7-2 Win - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Split Doubleheader with Wahoos - Montgomery Biscuits
- Shrimp Fall to Generals 7-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies and U.S. Cellular to Host Little League Takeover - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Gameday: College Night - August 30 vs. Jacksonville - Jackson Generals
- Kick off Your Weekend with a Biscuits Doubleheader - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 30 at Jackson - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- A Win Is a Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- 11th-Inning Rally Lifts Shuckers Beyond Barons - Biloxi Shuckers
- Blue Wahoos Creep Closer to Postseason Despite Setback - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp Help Package 50,000 Meals for Rise against Hunger
- Mesa Earns 2019 Rawlings Gold Glove Award
- Jumbo Shrimp to Host Swing for Your Seats on September 19
- Jumbo Shrimp Win Southern League Promotional Trophy; O'Brien Earns Sports Media Award
- Tommy Eveld Named BC S.L. Relief Pitcher of Month for August