Shorebirds Level Series With 8-3 Win Over Grasshoppers
Greensboro, N.C. - The Delmarva Shorebirds plated all eight runs between the second and sixth innings to defeat the Greensboro Grasshoppers, 8-3, at NewBridge Bank Park Wednesday. The Shorebirds recorded five two-out hits in the win. Steve Bumbry paced the offensive attack with three hits.
The Grasshoppers took an early lead in the first inning. Justin Bass reached on a two-out error by Garabez Rosa. Bass moved to second on a wild pitch and scored from second on another wild pitch.
The Shorebirds tied the score at 1-1 in the second. Steve Bumbry hit a lead-off single. Then, Tyler Stampone hit an infield single to push Bumbry to second base. A double play ball off the bat of Mikey Planeta advanced Bumbry to third. With two outs, Michael Ohlman singled through the right side of the infield to score Bumbry.
The Grasshoppers regained the lead in the home half of the second. Kyle Jensen started the frame with the double down the left field line. Carlos Paulino dropped a sacrifice bunt to move Jensen to third. After a strikeout of Taylor Krick, Michael Pasek hit a two-out RBI single to plate Jensen. Then, Terrence Dayleg singled to give the Grasshoppers a 3-1 lead.
In the third inning, the Birds took their first lead. T.J. Baxter led off with his fourth home run of the season over the left-center field wall. Ty Kelly followed with a single. He came into score on an error by the third baseman Terrence Dayleg.
The Shorebirds tacked on two more in the fourth inning. Kelly hit a single up the middle to plate Garabez Rosa and T.J. Baxter. Delmarva scored one more in the fifth on a single by Mikey Planeta and two more in the sixth inning.
Eight of the nine Shorebirds starters recorded a hit and all nine reached base.
Luis Noel picked up his first win of the season in five innings of work. He allowed just four hits. Greensboro starter Curtis Peterson was pinned with the loss.
The Shorebirds play game three of the series on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. LHP Nathan Moreau makes
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 2, 2010
- RiverDogs Walk Off in 10th Against 'Dads, 5-4 - Hickory Crawdads
- Tourists Triples Swat Gnats, 5-2 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- BlueClaws Come Back in Ninth at Hagerstown - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Falters Late Against BlueClaws - Hagerstown Suns
- Heathcott's Walkoff RBI Single Crunches Crawdads, 5-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Blown Bases, Loaded Tries Haunt Jackets in Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Braves Hold Off Augusta - Rome Braves
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Heathcott Transferred To Charleston, Milo Placed On DL - Charleston RiverDogs
- 1st-place 'Dads Tied For Top Record In SAL - Hickory Crawdads
- Legends Down Early, But Beat West Virginia 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Level Series With 8-3 Win Over Grasshoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Intimidators Drive Past Greenville - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greenville Drive Game Notes - Greenville Drive
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.