Sens Win Rookie Showcase with a Perfect Tournament
Jonathan Gruden scored the overtime winner as the Ottawa Senators beat the Winnipeg Jets 2-1 to win the Rookie Showcase with a perfect 3-0 record.
Ottawa had a goal in regulation from Josh Norris while Kevin Mandolese made 20 saves before Mads Sogaard replace him at the 10:37 point and stopped 18 shots. Winnipeg's Adam Carlson turned away 12 shots, as did Griffen Outhouse, while Cole Maier scored.
Gruden buried the winner at 2:40 in the extra frame as off of a lovely dish from Jonathan Davidsson, Gruden beat Outhouse high with a up high to give the Senators its third straight Rookie Showcase title.
It took just 101 seconds for the Jets to jump ahead as Maier scored his first goal of the tournament to give Winnipeg a 1-0 lead. The Senators tied it at 10:43 on the power play as Norris just squeezed one past Carlson's blocker on the short side after a nice feed down low by Alex Formenton.
After a scoreless second, Winnipeg nearly stole the game in regulation with less than two minutes to play as David Gustafsson hit the post as the game headed into overtime.
The winning 50/50 number from the Rookie Showcase was 730180 with the winner taking home $6,630.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 9, 2019
- Sens Win Rookie Showcase with a Perfect Tournament - Belleville Senators
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms Set 2019-2020 Promotional Schedule - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sens Set for Rookie Showcase Finale - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Single Game Tickets on Sale September 12 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Set First Phase of 19-20 Promotions - Milwaukee Admirals
- Capitals Name Brooks Orpik to Player Development Department - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Sens Release $100,000 in 50/50 Funds Amidst COVID-19 Crisis
- Spectra Donates Unused Food to Gleaners
- Eugene Melnyk Pledges Financial Support to Part-Time Employees During the AHL Suspension
- Belleville Senators COVID-19 Information
- Belleville Senators Statement on COVID-19