Second Period Rally Leads Lancers to Sweep over Fargo
OMAHA, NE. - After a thriving victory over the Fargo Force last night (10/22), Omaha still had another game in their way against the Force as they were looking to complete the weekend sweep.
Right out of the gate both teams began growing the shot count, as Omaha had five shots on net within the first few minutes. But Fargo will go on top first as Felikss Gavars snuck one by Mason Kucenski to put Fargo up 1-0 with 13:16 remaining in the first period. That goal gave Gavars his fourth goal of the season.
The Force wasted no time going up by two as Erik Bergholtz netted his second goal of the season off a feed from Tyler Rollwagen. Making the score 2-0, which ended up being the final result of the first period.
The beginning second period was quiet, as no goals were scored in the first 12 minutes of play. But finally, with just over seven minutes left in the period, Michael Cameron picked up his first goal of the season off a feed from Owen Fowler, giving Fowler his first point of the season as well.
Just over a minute later, Jared Wright was looking for his first goal of the season, and got it. After batting at the puck with Cam Mitchell in front of the net, Wright got the last swing at the puck to net the game tying goal to make the score 2-2.
Just 21 seconds later, after the face-off following Jared Wright's goal, Matt Basgall goes for a routine dump and chase. After releasing the shot, Fargo goaltender, Anton Castro left his net to play the puck below the goal line. As he left his net, the puck took an odd hop off the glass and found the back of the empty net to make it a 3-2 lead for Omaha heading into the second intermission.
Fargo came out hard to start he third period, really wanting that last goal back. Just five minutes in, Erik Bergholtz scored for the second time off a pass from Joe Palodichuk, tying the game at three goals apiece.
It took about five minutes for Omaha to regain the lead as Michael Cameron netted his second goal of the night off of feeds from Garrett Wright and Matt Basgall to take the lead 4-3 while on the power-play.
The last 10 minutes were full of scoring chances for Fargo, but Kucenski shut the door on every opportunity, giving the Lancers the 4-3 win.
Three players picked up multipoint nights tonight as Michael Cameron had two goals, Matt Basgall had a goal and an assist, and Garrett Wright racked up two assists, keeping his four game point streak alive.
That game improves the Lancers' record to 4-3-1 on the season and drops Fargo's to 3-3-0-1.
The Lancers will be back in action on Friday, October 29th against Tri-City. Puck is set to drop at 7:05 PM at Ralston Arena. The action can be caught on MixLR and HockeyTV.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2021
- Gamblers Win an OT Thriller - Green Bay Gamblers
- Steel Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Storm Drop Home Game to Stampede - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Trio Stacks up Scoring - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Earn Big Road Win over Tri-City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Saints Battle Toe-To-Toe with Chicago, Fall in Shootout - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Second Period Rally Leads Lancers to Sweep over Fargo - Omaha Lancers
- Lumberjacks Come up Short in 6-4 Loss to Madison - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Lancers Top Fargo 4-3 - Fargo Force
- Storm Host Stampede for Rae of Hope Night - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Hold on for 3-2 Win in Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Four-Goal 3rd Period Propels Capitols to Sixth Straight Victory - Madison Capitols
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.