Schaeffer Homers in Support of Deduno in Sky Sox Win
PORTLAND, Ore. - Warren Schaeffer had two hits, including a solo home run, and Samuel Deduno pitched five strong innings as the Colorado Springs Sky Sox knocked off the Portland Beavers 5-2 at PGE Park Wednesday night.
Deduno (1-1) gave up just a pair of infield singles in five innings while walking three and allowing one run.
The Sky Sox (4-3) got their first home run of the season out of Schaeffer in the seventh while Jonathan Herrera added two hits and two runs.
Josh Geer (0-1) gave up two runs on six hits and two walks over six innings in his second start of the season for Portland.
Chris Denorfia had two of the Beavers' (3-4) four hits, including one of two triples in the eighth inning that led to Portland's second run.
Juan Rincon retired the side in the ninth to earn his league-best fourth save.
The Beavers wrap up their eight-game homestand at PGE Park on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) against Colorado Springs before leaving on an eight-game road trip to Fresno and Sacramento on Friday.
NOTES: Schaeffer, who joined the Sky Sox on April 8 having never played above the Class A level, drove in four runs in his Triple-A debut Tuesday night to lead Colorado Springs to an 11-inning, come-from-behind win... right-hander Alexis Lara made his Triple-A debut for Portland and retired all five batters he faced in the eighth and ninth ... after not hitting two triples in any game in 2009, the Beavers had two triples in the eighth inning ... Mike Baxter had an RBI triple and walked twice for Portland while Geer drove in the Beavers' first run with an infield single in the fifth ... the Sky Sox were the last team in the PCL to hit a home run.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 14, 2010
- Rainiers Topped By Sacramento Rally - Tacoma Rainiers
- Schaeffer Homers in Support of Deduno in Sky Sox Win - Portland Beavers
- Gibbons Give 'Topes 7-6 Walk-Off Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Top Zephyrs, 7-6 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Lilly Leads Cubs to 5-2 Victory over Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Back-to-Back Homers Power Sounds to 3-2 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short In Aces 9-6 Loss To Bees - Reno Aces
- Coors Light Thirsty Thursday Kicks-Off Tomorrow Night - Reno Aces
- Will Ferrell To Visit The Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Fall At Oklahoma City 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Angels Recall Francisco Rodriguez, Option Cassevah to Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- Sounds Host Home Opener At Greer On Friday - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Newly Promoted Schaeffer Drives In Four, Leads Sky Sox To Extra-Inning Victory - Portland Beavers
- 'Topes Stumble Late, Fall To Z's 8-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss