Newly Promoted Schaeffer Drives In Four, Leads Sky Sox To Extra-Inning Victory
PORTLAND, Ore. - Warren Schaeffer drove in four runs in his Triple-A debut and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox came back for a 5-4 victory over the Portland Beavers in 11 innings Tuesday night at PGE Park.
Schaeffer, promoted from Class A Modesto recently, hit a key, three-run triple that tied the game in the sixth. In the 11th, his RBI groundout plated Mike Paulk with the eventual winning run to complete the comeback. It was Schaeffer's first game above Class A.
The Beavers (3-3) took a 4-0 lead and were backed by a solid effort from starter Wade LeBlanc through five.
Craig Cooper put the Beavers on the board in the second with a solo blast - his second of the year - and added a two-out RBI double in the third. The Beavers' lead increased in the fifth, thanks to two-out RBI singles from Dusty Ryan and Josh Barfield.
LeBlanc, meanwhile, struck out seven through the first five innings and retired nine straight at one point. But the first four Sky Sox (3-3) batters reached to start the sixth, and Schaeffer later laced a two-out, three-run triple to right field to tie the game at 4-4.
Paulk drew a leadoff walk off reliever Scott Munter (1-1) to start the 11th. Another walk and a sac bunt moved Paulk to third, and he would later score on Schaeffer's slow roller to third.
Andrew Johnston (1-0) was credited with the win, while Juan Rincon picked up his third save of the year.
Lance Zawadzki, who was 0-for-15 coming into the game, was 3-for-5 for the Beavers, who had a three-game winning streak halted.
The two teams continue their series Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m.
NOTES: Barfield left the game after a head-first slide into second base in the fifth inning ... reliever Joe Thatcher, with the Beavers on major league rehab, worked a scoreless seventh for the Beavers in his second appearance ... both teams used six different pitchers in the game ... Sky Sox third baseman Travis Metcalf struck out four times ... the Beavers pitching staff totaled 15 strikeouts and have 29 over the last two games.
Beavers Game File TUESDAY'S GAME: Colorado Springs 5, Beavers 4 (11 innings) WINNING PITCHER: Johnston (1-0) LOSING PITCHER: Munter (1-1) SAVE: Rincon (3) HOME RUNS: Cooper (2) WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Colorado Springs (Samuel Deduno: 0-1, 2.25) at Portland (Josh Geer: 0-0, 7.50), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 14, 2010
- Rainiers Topped By Sacramento Rally - Tacoma Rainiers
- Schaeffer Homers in Support of Deduno in Sky Sox Win - Portland Beavers
- Gibbons Give 'Topes 7-6 Walk-Off Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Top Zephyrs, 7-6 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Lilly Leads Cubs to 5-2 Victory over Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Back-to-Back Homers Power Sounds to 3-2 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short In Aces 9-6 Loss To Bees - Reno Aces
- Coors Light Thirsty Thursday Kicks-Off Tomorrow Night - Reno Aces
- Will Ferrell To Visit The Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Fall At Oklahoma City 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Angels Recall Francisco Rodriguez, Option Cassevah to Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- Sounds Host Home Opener At Greer On Friday - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Newly Promoted Schaeffer Drives In Four, Leads Sky Sox To Extra-Inning Victory - Portland Beavers
- 'Topes Stumble Late, Fall To Z's 8-7 - Albuquerque Isotopes
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss