Sardinha's three-run walkoff home run gives Thunder 3-2 win
(Trenton, NJ)- Bronson Sardinha's three-run homer in the bottom of the 9th Inning gave Trenton a 3-2 win over Reading on Wednesday night. The win is the third "walkoff" win for Trenton on their current 7-game homestand.
Trenton (9-15) trailed 2-0 entering the 9th Inning thanks to six shutout innings by Reading starter Brian Mazone and strong work from relievers Luke Lockwood and Tim McClaskey. But reliever Adam Shafer gave up a single to CF Vince Faison to start the inning and then walked SS J.T. Stotts. With Gabe Lopez up, Faison was picked off 2nd Base by Reading C Jason Jaramillo for the first out. But Shafer (0-2) walked Lopez and then allowed the three-run homer to Sardinha that ended the game.
The win went to Trenton's J.B. Cox, his first Double-A win. Cox (1-0) worked three scoreless innings of relief with one walk and two strikeouts. Thunder starter Steven White earned a no-decision with two runs allowed over six innings.
Reading (10-14) scored single runs off White in the 3rd and 5th Innings for a 2-0 lead. LF John Castellano, who was 4-for-4 in the game, collected an RBI single in the third for a 1-0 lead. CF Michael Bourn delivered a sacrifice fly in the fifth for the second Reading run.
The series concludes on Thursday at 7:05 PM. 19-year-old Philip Hughes, the #1 prospect of the N.Y. Yankees, makes his Double-A debut tomorow. He will start against Reading's Allen Davis (0-0, 1.50).
- Sardinha is now 11-for-19 during his current four-game hit streak with 2 HR, 3 R, 4 RBI.
- Of the nine wins for Trenton on the season, seven have been recorded by the Thunder bullpen.
- This was the sixth straight game in which Trenton has collected at least two doubles.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 3, 2006
- Curve come back in a big way, top SeaWolves 11-5 - Altoona Curve
- Sardinha's three-run walkoff home run gives Thunder 3-2 win - Trenton Thunder
- Andrade becomes 11th Fisher Cat to reach Major Leagues - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox beat Fisher Cats, 8-4, Wednesday night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Today's Sea Dogs Game Postponed - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron Comes From Behind For Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Twomley joins Dogs, pair head to DL - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox second telecast hits the air Saturday - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Game - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Welcome North Open House Set for Tuesday, April 3
- Philadelphia and New York Police Departments Meet as Part of All-Star Classic at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Fox Sports 920 AM the Jersey Returns as Flagship Station for 2018 Season
- Aaron Judge Mini Bat, Pork Roll Celebration Night Highlight 2018 Promotional Schedule
- NJM and the Trenton Thunder - the Capital City's All-Star