Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Austin Spurs 116-82 for Fourth Straight Win
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (20-6) defeated the Austin Spurs (12-15) 116-82 tonight at Kaiser Permanente Arena to give the team four straight wins and the best record in the NBA G League. The Warriors established new season-highs of 18 steals to generate 27 Spurs turnovers, which resulted in 43 points.
Warriors two-way guard Damion Lee logged team highs of 20 points and seven rebounds in 28 minutes tonight. Two-way forward Marcus Derrickson added 15 points on 3-of-5 from deep to go along with five rebounds. Eight players scored in double figures tonight, including 12 points and a career-high five steals for Antonius Cleveland.
San Antonio Spurs guard Lonnie Walker IV, currently on assignment in Austin, recorded a team-high 20 points on 8-of-15 from the field. Spurs forward DeJuan Blair scored 13 points in just 11 minutes off the bench tonight, with Spurs big man Chimezie Metu, also on assignment from San Antonio, narrowly missing his fifth double-double of the season with nine points and 11 rebounds.
Santa Cruz forced ten Spurs turnovers in the first quarter, including seven steals and three takeaways from Cleveland, to take a 27-20 lead. Austin's 16 second quarter points, with eight coming from Walker IV, are season lows for the second quarter and first half for a Santa Cruz opponent this season.
The Warriors led by as many as 27 in the third quarter thanks to Lee's 11 points, including the team's first four-point play of the season, to take an 84-58 lead. Santa Cruz ratcheted their lead up to a season-high 40 points in the fourth, featuring 13 points from guard Kendrick Nunn on 6-of-7 from the field (85.7 percent FG).
Tonight's victory gives the Warriors eight wins in their last nine games and the franchise's best win percentage (.769) at the midseason mark.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will host the Salt Lake City Stars this Friday, January 18 at Kaiser Permanente Arena (7:00 p.m. PST on NBC Sports Bay Area Plus), with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving a Warriors tin lunchbox, courtesy of Plantronics. For tickets to this Friday's home game, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 17, 2019
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Greensboro Swarm Ousted by Raptors 905 - Greensboro Swarm
- NAZ Suns to Become Rodeo Clowns on Saturday - Northern Arizona Suns
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs to Participate in FIBA Intercontinental Cup - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Austin Spurs 116-82 for Fourth Straight Win - Austin Spurs
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Tyler Dorsey from Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Stars Fall to Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Austin Spurs 116-82 for Fourth Straight Win - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bob MacKinnon Tabs 200th Win over Westchester - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.