San Diego Gulls Name Jason Clarke and Kris Sparre Assistant Coaches
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has named Jason Clarke and Kris Sparre as assistant coaches. Clarke and Sparre join head coach Roy Sommer on San Diego's coaching staff.
Clarke split the 2021-22 season between the Shawinigan Cataractes and Acadie-Bathurst Titan of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), serving as head coach for the Titan for the majority of the season. Clarke guided Acadie-Bathurst to a 40-22-3-3 record, finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference and third in the Maritimes Division.
A native of Carleton Place, Ontario, Clarke was the head coach and general manager of the Carleton Place Canadians of the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL) from 2009-21 and led the club to two CCHL championships (2015, 2017). He was named CCHL Coach of the Year three times (2014, 2015, 2020), CCHL General Manager of Year three times (2017, 2018, 2020) and to the CCHL First All-Star Team in 2020. Clarke began his coaching career as head coach for the Ottawa Jr. Senators for three seasons (2002-05).
Sparre completed his first season as associate coach for the Flint Firebirds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in 2021-22, helping the club to a franchise best 42-21-1-4 record and their first Western Conference Finals appearance.
Prior to joining Flint, Sparre was an assistant coach for Salzburg of the Champions Hockey League (ICEHL) from 2019-21, assisting the club to a 43-23-11 record and a berth in the ICEHL semifinals in 2021. He began his coaching career as an assistant coach for the OHL's Niagara IceDogs from 2016-19.
A native of Mississauga, Ontario, Sparre played nine professional seasons from 2008-16. He earned 32-43=75 points and 187 penalty minutes (PIM) in 257 DEL games with Iserlohn, Ingolstadt, Berlin and Dusseldorfer. Sparre also appeared in 65 ECHL games with the Idaho Steelheads and Columbia Inferno, collecting 17-22=39 points with a +6 rating and 105 PIM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 4, 2022
- Flames Extend Forward Jonathan Huberdeau - Calgary Wranglers
- IceHogs & Iowa Wild Collide in Preseason Tune-Ups in Coralville, Iowa on October 5 & 6 - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Announces 2022 Preseason Games at Xtream Arena - Iowa Wild
- Thunderbirds Announce Front Office Hires, Promotions - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Firebirds Introduce Official Team Mascot Fuego to the Coachella Valley - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Monsters Sign Forward Cole Fonstad to One-Year AHL Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls Name Jason Clarke and Kris Sparre Assistant Coaches - San Diego Gulls
- Texas Stars Sign Forward Ryan Dmowski to One-Year Contract - Texas Stars
- Former IceHogs Forward Rob Klinkhammer Hired as an Assistant Coach - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Captain Rich Clune Announces Retirement - Toronto Marlies
- Red Wings Add Two to Griffins' Hockey Staff - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Moves
- POSTGAME NOTES AND QUOTES - San Diego - 1 vs. Coachella Valley - 4 - November 26, 2022
- San Diego Gulls Reassign Goaltender Daniel Mannella to Tulsa
- San Diego Gulls to Host Fourth Annual Hockey Fights Cancer Game Saturday, November 26
- Roadrunners Win Over Gulls