Saltdogs Fend off Wingnuts to Clinch Series
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Saltdogs got six strong innings from Tyler Herron and a three-run homer from Brandon Jacobs, as they held off the Wichita Wingnuts 6-4 on Wednesday night at Haymarket Park.
The Saltdogs (3-3) used the long ball to jump out to an early lead, as Christian Ibarra homered for the second consecutive day in the bottom of the first for a 1-0 Lincoln lead. After the Wingnuts (2-3) evened the score on a sacrifice fly from John Nester in the fourth, Jacobs gave Lincoln the lead right back by sneaking a ball over the fence in left off Wingnuts starter Travis Banwart (1-1).
Wichita tried to mount a rally in the sixth inning against Lincoln starter Tyler Herron (1-1), pulling to within 4-3 on Nester's two-out, two-run double. But Logan Trowbridge's sharp liner found the glove of Jacobs in left, and the threat came to a close.
Two insurance runs crossed for Lincoln in the seventh, as Christian Ibarra singled home one run and Chase Simpson doubled home another against Wingnuts reliever Felix Carvallo to extend the lead to 6-3.
Tony Thomas pulled Wichita back to within 6-4 in the eighth with a towering solo homer, but lefty Jose Jose recovered to retire the next three, and JR Bunda worked around a two-out single in the ninth to record his second save.
The Wingnuts and Saltdogs wrap up their series on Thursday night; Casey Harman gets the start for Wichita while Lincoln has not yet announced their starter. First pitch is scheduled for 6:45 and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 23, 2018
- Two Homers Help Saltdogs to Third Straight Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Fend off Wingnuts to Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- How Sweep It Is, Saints Win Fifth Straight with 5-3 Victory over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Keep Dogs Bats Quiet, Sweep Chicago - Chicago Dogs
- Festivals Return to the Steel Yard with Beer, Food, Fun, and Much More - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sweep Series, Win 10-2 over AirHogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Former Braves Prospect Joining Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Grab Right Handed Pitcher Astin - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Take Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Wrap Series vs. Winnipeg, Head to Wichita Friday - Texas AirHogs
- First Inning Rally Propels X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Fall in Home Opener in Front of Impressive Crowd - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Complete 10-Run Comeback to Walk-Off Wingnuts - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Copeland, McKenzie Guide Gary to 6-2 Win over KC in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lincoln Rally Stuns Wingnuts in Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Rally to Even up the Series - Cleburne Railroaders