Lincoln Rally Stuns Wingnuts in Ninth
LINCOLN, Neb. - A three-run walk off home run from Angel Reyes capped a five-run ninth inning rally for the Lincoln Saltdogs, as they stormed back to down the Wichita Wingnuts 11-10 on Tuesday night at Haymarket Park.
The Wingnuts (2-2) jumped out to a 10-1 lead after scoring seven runs in the top of the fourth inning against Lincoln starter Derek Gordon. Tony Thomas got the scoring started with a three-run blast in the first inning, the first home run of the season for the Wingnuts. Then Wichita pounded out six hits in the fourth to extend the lead to nine; Abel Nieves sliced a two-run single, John Nester added a two-run double, and Isaiah Aluko capped the scoring with a two-run homer.
Lincoln (2-3) began the comeback with two runs in the bottom of the frame against Wichita starter Austin Boyle. Nathaniel Maggio singled home one run and a Wingnuts error trimmed the lead to 10-3. A Christian Ibarra solo homer in the fifth made it 10-4, and Dashenko Ricardo's sixth inning RBI double pulled the Saltdogs within 10-5. After Brady Bowen tossed up a scoreless seventh, Lincoln continued the rally with a Reyes RBI single in the eighth that cut the deficit to 10-6.
In the ninth, Wichita turned to James Campbell (0-1) to record the final three outs. A sac fly from Maggio made it 10-7, then Brandon Jacobs lofted an RBI single to bring the Saltdogs within 10-8. On an 0-2 count, Reyes drove a ball over the left field fence to complete the comeback.
Brian Smith (1-0) picked up the win for Lincoln with two scoreless innings of relief.
The Wingnuts and Saltdogs continue their series on Tuesday night, with righties Tyler Herron and Travis Banwart getting the ball. First pitch is scheduled for 6:45 and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 23, 2018
- Two Homers Help Saltdogs to Third Straight Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Fend off Wingnuts to Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- How Sweep It Is, Saints Win Fifth Straight with 5-3 Victory over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Keep Dogs Bats Quiet, Sweep Chicago - Chicago Dogs
- Festivals Return to the Steel Yard with Beer, Food, Fun, and Much More - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sweep Series, Win 10-2 over AirHogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Former Braves Prospect Joining Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Grab Right Handed Pitcher Astin - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Take Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Wrap Series vs. Winnipeg, Head to Wichita Friday - Texas AirHogs
- First Inning Rally Propels X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Fall in Home Opener in Front of Impressive Crowd - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Complete 10-Run Comeback to Walk-Off Wingnuts - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Copeland, McKenzie Guide Gary to 6-2 Win over KC in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lincoln Rally Stuns Wingnuts in Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Rally to Even up the Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.