Goldeyes Sweep Series, Win 10-2 over AirHogs
GRAND PRAIRIE, TX - The Winnipeg Goldeyes defeated the Texas AirHogs 10-2 at AirHogs Stadium on Wednesday afternoon, sweeping the series. It was a combined effort of strong pitching and offense that earned the Goldeyes their win.
The Fish opened scoring in the top of the second, and held the lead for the remainder of the game. With Victor Cruzado , David Bergin and Kevin Garcia on base, Josh Mazzola lined a hit down centerfield, over the glove of AirHogs' Dillon Thomas, for a three run double. Following that, Jordan Ebert drew a walk from AirHogs pitcher Miguel Rosario. With two men on base, Grant Heyman hit a line drive toward left field that one-hopped off the middle of the wall, earning him a two run double, and making the score 5-0. Reynaldo Rodriguez worked a ten pitch walk, the third walk of the inning for Rosario. Rosario was pulled from the mound, and replaced by teammate Liu Yu.
Ebert scored a two-out, RBI double in the sixth, bringing Mazzola home.
With bases loaded for the AirHogs and no outs in the bottom of the fifth, Goldeyes starting pitcher Charle Rosario managed to work his way out of the inning with no runs scored. This brings Rosario's season total to twelve straight scoreless innings. Hitting coach Tom Vaeth was pleased with Rosario's afternoon performance.
"He made some quality pitches to limit the damage, and got out without runs. That's Charle. He knows how to pitch, mixed in all three of his pitches really well today I think, spotted his fastball effectively and was able to keep the hitters off balance," said Vaeth.
Rosario picked up the win for the Goldeyes. Relief pitchers Brandon Bingel and Zach Hartman each pitched a scoreless inning. The AirHogs' Miguel Rosario took the loss.
With the score at 6-0, the AirHogs answered back in bottom of the seventh. AirHogs Ryan Wagner drove a hit deep left centre, bringing teammate Stewart Ijames to the plate. On the last out of the inning AirHogs Chen Chen drove in Wagner, making the score 7-2.
The Goldeyes earned three more runs in the eighth. Matt McCann made a line drive RBI single to centre, that brought Garcia home. Next, Andrew Sohn grounded a ball to the left and scored an RBI single that brought Mazzola home. Next McCann scored, on a sacrifice fly by Reynaldo Rodriguez to make the score 9-2.
In the top of the ninth AirHogs pitcher Zhang Tao was replaced by teammate Tu Jialun, after walking Bergin, Garcia and McCann, loading the bases. Andrew Sohn picked up his second RBI of the afternoon, bringing Bergin home and earning the final run of the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 23, 2018
- Two Homers Help Saltdogs to Third Straight Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Fend off Wingnuts to Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- How Sweep It Is, Saints Win Fifth Straight with 5-3 Victory over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Keep Dogs Bats Quiet, Sweep Chicago - Chicago Dogs
- Festivals Return to the Steel Yard with Beer, Food, Fun, and Much More - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sweep Series, Win 10-2 over AirHogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Former Braves Prospect Joining Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Grab Right Handed Pitcher Astin - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Take Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Wrap Series vs. Winnipeg, Head to Wichita Friday - Texas AirHogs
- First Inning Rally Propels X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Fall in Home Opener in Front of Impressive Crowd - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Complete 10-Run Comeback to Walk-Off Wingnuts - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Copeland, McKenzie Guide Gary to 6-2 Win over KC in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lincoln Rally Stuns Wingnuts in Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Rally to Even up the Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.