Two Homers Help Saltdogs to Third Straight Win
LINCOLN, NE - Christian Ibarra and Brandon Jacobs each homered and the Lincoln Saltdogs beat the Wichita Wingnuts 6-4 at Haymarket Park on Wednesday night.
The win clinched the first series win of the season for Lincoln (3-3) and extended their win streak to three games. Tyler Herron earned the win and notched a quality start in a six-inning outing. Travis Banwart was charged with the loss for Wichita (2-3) after surrendering four runs on six hits over six innings. J.R. Bunda earned the save by pitching a scoreless ninth inning.
The Saltdogs took the lead immediately. Christian Ibarra led off the bottom of the first inning with a home run to left field to make it 1-0. He has homered in back to back games and has notched a hit in every game this season.
Wichita tied it up in the top of the fourth. Abel Nieves started the frame with a hit and Tony Thomas followed with a walk. After a groundout advanced the runners, Nieves scored on a sacrifice fly by John Nester.
The tie was short-lived as the Saltdogs grabbed the lead for good in the bottom of the fourth. Chase Simpson and Angel Reyes each collected singles to bring up Brandon Jacobs with two outs. The left fielder had just one hit entering the day but blasted a three-run shot to make it 4-1.
The Wingnuts trimmed the lead to one in the top of the sixth. Nieves and Thomas combined for hits and Nester came through with a two-out double to close the gap to 4-3.
The Saltdogs added insurance runs in the seventh. New infielder Omar Obregon reached on a Wichita error and scored on an Ibarra single. Simpson doubled off the left field wall to tally the next score and extend the lead to three runs.
Thomas jacked his second home run of the series in the eighth inning to cut the lead to 6-4 but the Lincoln bullpen did its job overall. Eric Wooten, Jose Jose and Bunda combined to allow one run over three innings to secure the victory.
The Saltdogs try for the series sweep over Wichita on Thursday night at Haymarket Park. First pitch is at 6:45 PM with coverage beginning at 6:15 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 23, 2018
- Two Homers Help Saltdogs to Third Straight Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saltdogs Fend off Wingnuts to Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- How Sweep It Is, Saints Win Fifth Straight with 5-3 Victory over Dogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Keep Dogs Bats Quiet, Sweep Chicago - Chicago Dogs
- Festivals Return to the Steel Yard with Beer, Food, Fun, and Much More - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Sweep Series, Win 10-2 over AirHogs - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Former Braves Prospect Joining Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Grab Right Handed Pitcher Astin - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Take Second Consecutive Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Wrap Series vs. Winnipeg, Head to Wichita Friday - Texas AirHogs
- First Inning Rally Propels X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Fall in Home Opener in Front of Impressive Crowd - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Complete 10-Run Comeback to Walk-Off Wingnuts - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Copeland, McKenzie Guide Gary to 6-2 Win over KC in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lincoln Rally Stuns Wingnuts in Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Rally to Even up the Series - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Hosting League Meetings
- Saltdogs Collect Talented Group of Players to Complete Earlier Trades
- Haymarket Park Picked as 'Field of the Year' for the 18th Straight Season
- 2018 Season Recap
- Season Recap: Third Straight Winning Season Marked by Great Moments