Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada
RENO, Nevada - Republic FC shared the spoils with Reno 1868 FC on Saturday night following a 1-1 draw at Greater Nevada Field.
The playoff-bound boys in Old Glory Red are now just one game away from tying a club all-time record for consecutive matches without a loss at 11 - a feat the club conquered during its inaugural season in 2014.
The result for Mark Briggs' men means the squad is still in contention for the top spot in Group A and can secure the top spot with two wins in its last two matches, as long as Reno loses its last two remaining fixtures. If 1868 FC collects one point over its last two games, Reno will take first and Sacramento will solidify second place in the group.
Jaime Villarreal took three shots on the night and created one scoring chance.
Just before halftime on Saturday night the hosts snatched a 1-0 lead when a Brent Richards header gave his side the first advantage of the game.
In the 51st minute, Dekel Keinan leveled the match when fellow defender Juan Barahona whipped in a corner kick that the Israeli international buried with a perfectly placed header into the top corner. The goal was Keinan's first of his career in Sacramento while the assist was Barahona's second this season.
Republic FC continued pushing forward in search of a late winner and outshot the hosts on the night 18 to 10. The Indomitable Club also created 12 scoring chances on the night compared to Reno's six. SRFC also conjured up seven corner kicks over the course of the contest while Reno did not manage to attempt a single one.
Kharlton Belmar's four assists this season is a team-high for 2020.
Next up for the boys in Old Glory Red is a fourth and final regular season fixture against Tacoma Defiance. The midweek matchup is slated for Wednesday, September 30 with kickoff against the Pacific Northwest club set for 7:00 p.m. PT.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 27, 2020
- Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw - Austin Bold FC
- Tacoma Defiance Returns Home, Beats Portland 2-1 - Tacoma Defiance
- Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin - OKC Energy FC
- LouCity Readjusts Kickoff Time for Saturday's Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Earn a Draw at Las Vegas - LA Galaxy II
- Rising Defense Smothers Orange County in 1-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks mirror consistent pressure against Salt Lake City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Match Preview: Republic FC V Orange County SC
- What to Watch this Weekend Across the USL: Week 14
- Around the Leagues: Crazy Happenings Highlight Eventful Week for the Beautiful Game
- Republic FC Duo Earn Team of the Week Honors
- Republic FC Ã¢ÂÂ Oakland Roots SC Match Rescheduled to August 11