Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
Las Vegas (NV) - Los Angeles Galaxy II felt like their comeback in Las Vegas was going to equal three points for them, but added time is goal time for Lights FC and they scored the late equalizer to end the game tied at two.
The home team took a 1-0 lead into halftime with a 37th minute strike in the box from Honduras native Junior Sandoval, who controlled a high cross from teammate Jordan Murrell before kicking the ball past goalkeeper Abraham Romero.
The first 25 minutes of the second half were a battle where both teams had their chances. Los Angeles forward Augustine Williams took a long pass from Andre Vera, dodging Lights' defender Alex Culwelll before scoring the equalizer in the 71st minute.
10 minutes later "Los Dos" took their first lead of the match with Jonathan Perez striking the ball inside the six-yard box to leave Vegas goalie Thomas Olsen with no opportunity to get the save.
But never say never to Lights FC at Cashman Field. 3 minutes into the 4 minutes of added time given by the referee, Las Vegas midfielder Jose Carrera took possession at midfield and pushed the ball forward where he found a streaking Rashawn Dally on the left flank. "Cito" served a perfectly placed through ball to Dally, who had no mercy to level the game.
This 2-2 draw was the first of three matches for Lights FC in an 8-day span, with their following game scheduled on Wednesday, September 30 on the road against Reno 1868 FC. This will be the second of two matches in the Silver State Cup, with the team from up north winning the first match 1-0. Las Vegas will then close the season at Cashman Field on Saturday, October 3 versus Orange County SC.
1-0: 39' (LV) Junior Sandoval 1-1: 71' (LA) Augustine Williams 1-2: 81' (LA) Jonathan Perez 2-2: 90+3' (LV) Rashawn Dally
Images from this story
Rashawn Dally of Las Vegas Lights FC (left) vs. Tacoma Defiance
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 27, 2020
- Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw - Austin Bold FC
- Tacoma Defiance Returns Home, Beats Portland 2-1 - Tacoma Defiance
- Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin - OKC Energy FC
- LouCity Readjusts Kickoff Time for Saturday's Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Earn a Draw at Las Vegas - LA Galaxy II
- Rising Defense Smothers Orange County in 1-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks mirror consistent pressure against Salt Lake City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win