Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin
Cody Laurendi, on his 100th appearance for Energy FC, made a vital penalty save to help the Greens keep a clean sheet and end the 2020 home season with a draw against Austin Bold FC Sunday evening at Taft Stadium.
Cordell Cato was the first player to test Austin goalkeeper Diego Restrepo, when he cut inside onto his right foot and drove a low shot from the top of the box in the 21st minute. The shot didn't quite have enough power, and the keeper was able to get down to make the save at his near post.
The Greens had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the 39th minute when Jose Hernandez's through ball put Jaime Chavez all alone on goal. Restrepo did well to come off his line to cut down the angle, and the shot wasn't far enough to either side, resulting in a save.
It looked like Austin would take the lead into halftime when Chavez fouled Sonny Guadarrama in the penalty area in the 44th minute. Guadarrama stepped up to convert from the spot, but Laurendi made the save low to his right side to keep the match scoreless.
The second half didn't offer as much action as the first, but OKC came close to finding a winner near the end. In the 86th minute, Jon Brown whipped in a dangerous cross from the left wing that found Chavez, but the header just flashed over the crossbar.
Energy FC, now on 10 points and in fourth place in Group D, is eliminated from post-season contention after this weekend's results.
The Greens travel to Tulsa for the penultimate match of the 2020 season this Wednesday, September 30 at 7 p.m. at ONEOK Field. The winner of the match will claim the Wrench, the travelling trophy awarded to the winner of the Black Gold Derby season series.
OKC: Ibeagha, Yellow Card, 43'
OKC: Garcia, Yellow Card, 44'
OKC: Hernandez, Yellow Card, 67'
OKC Starting XI: GK: Cody Laurendi (c); D: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Christian Ibeagha, Nico Taravel, Joe Amico (Ramon Del Campo, 77'); M: Rafael Garcia, Brad Dunwell, Jose Hernandez (Kodai Iida, 91') F: Tucker Stephenson, Jaime Chavez, Cordell Cato (Jon Brown, 77')
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi, Atiba Harris, Mike Da Fonte
ATX Starting XI: GK: Diego Restrepo; D: Sean McFarlane, Amobi Okugo, Jermain Taylor, Ismaila Jome; M: Xavi Baez (c) (Omar Ciss, 34'), Jevaughn Watson, Sonny Guadarrama (Aldo Quintanilla, 57'); F: Beto Avila (Nathaniel Adamolekun, 82'), Ema Twumasi, Billy Forbes
Subs Not Used: Vincent Tasca, Jorge Troncoso, Josue Soto, Ates Diouf
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 27, 2020
- Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw - Austin Bold FC
- Tacoma Defiance Returns Home, Beats Portland 2-1 - Tacoma Defiance
- Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin - OKC Energy FC
- LouCity Readjusts Kickoff Time for Saturday's Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Earn a Draw at Las Vegas - LA Galaxy II
- Rising Defense Smothers Orange County in 1-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks mirror consistent pressure against Salt Lake City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.