Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw
Austin, TX - Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC battled to a 0-0 draw on a windy night at Taft Stadium. The result takes The Bold back into second place in Group D.
Goalkeepers Diego Restrepo and Cody Laurendi were the standouts in the first half, making big saves to keep the match level. Sonny Guadarrama was unable to convert from the spot after The Bold were awarded a penalty late in the first half, keeping the match scoreless. The two sides fought hard in the second half to materialize scoring chances, but the night ended 0-0. The Bold travels to Edinburg, TX, next to take on Rio Grande Valley FC this Wednesday. Catch the action live on ESPN+.
Energy FC came out strong in the first half forcing Restrepo into two difficult saves. In the 21', the Bold goalkeeper was able to change direction quickly to save a right footed Cordell Cato strike from outside the box. Restrepo came up big again in the 38' when he smothered out Jamie Chavez's breakaway in a one-on-one situation.
The Bold rallied late in the first half to create dangerous chances of their own. Laurendi palmed away a curling Ismaila Jome free kick in the 41'. Austin was awarded a penalty in the 43' after Guadarrama was taken down in the box. The midfielder took the resulting kick from the spot, but couldn't get it by Laurendi.
Chances were at a premium for both sides in the second half. Austin had their best looks late when Nathaniel Adamolekun picked the ball off Laurendi in the 88' but couldn't sneak his following shot by the OKC defense. Jome's long-distance strike in stoppage time also couldn't make it past Laurendi. Nothing could separate the two clubs, and both ended with a point apiece.
Post Match Quotes
Diego Restrepo on the day's tough conditions and how the team needs to react for the final two matches.
"Tough battle tonight in very difficult conditions. Everyone came out and showed their character. We have 2 finals left to achieve our goal and we will do everything to the last minute"
Jermaine Taylor on the team's mentality for today and upcoming matches.
"Tonight was very hard because of the windy conditions nevertheless we stick together and fight as a team to get a point. We showed a lot of character. And for the next two games, this is what we have to do in order to make the playoffs. It all comes down to a fight and grind to who wants it more and we have to bring that fight come Wednesday."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 27, 2020
- Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw - Austin Bold FC
- Tacoma Defiance Returns Home, Beats Portland 2-1 - Tacoma Defiance
- Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin - OKC Energy FC
- LouCity Readjusts Kickoff Time for Saturday's Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Earn a Draw at Las Vegas - LA Galaxy II
- Rising Defense Smothers Orange County in 1-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks mirror consistent pressure against Salt Lake City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at Rio Grande Valley FC