El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw
EL PASO, TEXAS - El Paso Locomotive FC (8-2-4, 28 points) monopolized a scoreless draw against a lackluster New Mexico United on Saturday in front of 1,669 fans at Southwest University Park. Despite outclassing their regional rivals, Los Locos couldn't find the back of the net to secure the full three points.
"I don't know how happy I am yet; I'm proud though," said Head Coach and Technical Director, Mark Lowry. "I'm proud of the work. I can't fault the guys tonight at all. I thought the heart and their spirit was just superb. I don't want to sound happy with a point, I'm not. I'm not happy we didn't score. We had chances, particularly in the first four or five minutes of the game but we will take the point and I just hope the injury list doesn't get long."
The Southwest Derby proved to be heated from the beginning as Locomotive came out of the gates strong against a physical United. Omar Salgado and Dylan Mares, along with a freekick opportunity from Mechack Jerome tested the United GK Cody Mizell early with shots bouncing off the frame and wide. While each side began to get into physical battles over control of the ball, the Locomotive offense continued to create chances, while the defensive side left New Mexico with only two shots and one on target which Logan Ketterer easily saved to keep everything level entering the break.
Locomotive picked up right where they left off when returning to the break, utilizing weak points in the United defense to slip the ball into dangerous areas for a goal, including Aaron Gomez getting within 6-yards only to be shut out by a scrambling Mizell. Taking advantage of their dominating possession, Locomotive opened another chance with a headed flick from Mares just wide of the net. Though Locomotive FC overshadowed their visitors, unlucky shots in the final third kept the four-point gap between the two on Group C.
UP NEXT: Locomotive goes on the road to face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in Round 4 of the 2020 series between the two. Kickoff from Weidner Field is scheduled for a midweek Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. MT.
- The 2020 regular season home campaign came to a close for Locomotive behind a scoreless draw against New Mexico United.
- After splitting the points, Locomotive still stands four-points ahead of New Mexico on the Group C table.
- Los Locos move to nine games unbeaten (7-0-2) matching the club-best unbeaten streak in the 2019 inaugural season.
Match: El Paso Locomotive FC vs New Mexico United
Date: September 26, 2020
Venue: Southwest University Park; El Paso, Texas
Weather: 89F; clear and sunny
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
El Paso Locomotive FC 0 0 0
New Mexico United 0 0 0
El Paso Locomotive FC (4-1-2-1-2): Logan Ketterer; Eder Borelli, Yuma, Mechack Jerome, Macca King, Richie Ryan, Chapa Herrera, Bryam Rebellon, Dylan Mares, Omar Salgado (Leandro Carrijo,18'), Aaron Gomez
Subs not used: Jermaine Fordah, Saeed Robinson, Drew Beckie, Distel Zola, Moses Makinde, Memo Diaz
New Mexico United (4-4-2): Cody Mizell; Sam Hamilton, Kalen Ryden, Austin Yearwood, Saalih Muhammad (Rashid Tetteh,86'), Juan Guzman (David Estrada, 45') (Daniel Bruce, 86'), Josh Suggs, Andrew Tinari (Ryan Williams, 67'), Amando Moreno (Romeo Parkes, 86'), Chris Wehan, Devon Sandoval
Subs not used: Joris Ahlinvi, Philipp Beigl
Stats Summary: ELP/NM
Shots: 11 / 8
Shots on Goal: 2 / 2
Saves: 2 / 2
Corner Kicks: 4 / 3
Fouls: 13 / 21
Offside: 2 / 5
ELP - Eder Borelli (Caution), 29'
NM - Amando Moreno (Caution), 36'
ELP - Bryam Rebellon (Caution), 41'
ELP - Richie Ryan (Caution), 52'
ELP - Leandro Carrijo (Caution), 68'
NM - Rashid Tetteh (Caution), 88'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 27, 2020
- Austin Bold FC and OKC Energy FC Battle to 0-0 Draw - Austin Bold FC
- Tacoma Defiance Returns Home, Beats Portland 2-1 - Tacoma Defiance
- Greens Keep Clean Sheet, Draw Home Finale with Austin - OKC Energy FC
- LouCity Readjusts Kickoff Time for Saturday's Regular-Season Finale - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Earn a Draw at Las Vegas - LA Galaxy II
- Rising Defense Smothers Orange County in 1-0 Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Keeps Four Point Lead over New Mexico United After Scoreless Draw - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks mirror consistent pressure against Salt Lake City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Sacramento Republic FC elevates unbeaten streak to ten straight following draw in Nevada - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent El Paso Locomotive FC Stories
- Defender Matt Bahner Returns to El Paso Locomotive for 2021 USL Championship Season
- El Paso Locomotive Youth Soccer Club Expands Front Office Adding Michael Balogun and Ana Guevara
- El Paso Locomotive FC Inks Record-Setting Phoenix Rising Midfielder Jose Aguinaga
- El Paso Locomotive FC Adds Forward Aidan Apodaca to 2021 Season Roster
- Midfielder Richie Ryan Re-Signs for El Paso Locomotive Ahead of 2021 USL Championship Season