S2 Earns Point in Home Finale at Cheney Stadium
TACOMA, WASH. - Sounders FC 2 (5-21-7, 22 points) earned a point on Wednesday evening in a 2-2 draw with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in the home finale at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma. S2 was unbeaten in seven of its last eight matches in front of the home crowd in 2018, and has earned 20 of its 22 points at home. Sounders FC Academy product Alec Diaz scored the equalizer in the 81st minute for S2, his first professional goal. Assistant Coach Wade Webber made his head coaching debut at Cheney Stadium in place of suspended Head Coach John Hutchinson.
Alec Diaz scored his first professional goal for S2 (Charis Wilson / Sounders FC).
Lamar Neagle netted the first marker of the game just before halftime on a feed from Azriel Gonzalez. Gonzalez sent a curling free kick into the box and Neagle headed it home for his fourth goal in eight games with S2 this season. Gonzalez now owns three assists to go with his three goals in 17 games for the USL side in 2018.
Colorado Springs took a 2-1 lead with two goals in two minutes early in the second half. Saeed Robinson fired a curling ball from outside the box in the 51st minute that hit the top right side of the bar and bounced in behind Seattle goalkeeper Bryan Meredith. Just one minute later, Shane Malcolm banged a pass from Karsten Hanlin into the back of the net to give the visiting side a 2-1 lead.
Diaz's equalizer came on a loose ball inside the area during a throw-in by Jordan McCrary. The 16-year-old fired a shot to the upper middle part of the goal past Switchbacks FC goalkeeper Steward Ceus for his first goal as a professional.
S2 saw appearances from four First Team players in Tony Alfaro, McCrary, Meredith and Neagle, as well as three Academy players in Khai Brisco, Blake Malone and Diaz.
Sounders FC 2 plays its season finale on Saturday, October 13 at Tulsa Roughnecks FC. Kickoff is set for 5:00 p.m. PT and the match will be live-streamed on ESPN+.
Sounders FC 2 I 2-2 I Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
Venue: Cheney Stadium I Tacoma, Washington
Referee: Michael Radchuk
Assistants: Joshua Haimes, Sya Magee
Fourth Official: Benjamin Oakley
Weather: 55 degrees and clear
SEA - Lamar Neagle (Azriel Gonzalez) 45'
COL - Saeed Robinson (Jordan Schweitzer) 51'
COL - Shane Malcolm (Karsten Hanlin) 52'
SEA - Alec Diaz (Lamar Neagle) 81'
COL - Taylor Hunter (caution) 33'
COL - AJ Ajeakwa (caution) 61'
SEA - Lamar Neagle (caution) 76'
LINEUPS & STATS
S2 - Bryan Meredith; Jordan McCrary, Blake Malone, Tony Alfaro, Ibrahim Usman; David Olsen (Alec Diaz 66'), Antonee Burke-Gilroy; Shandon Hopeau, Marlon Vargas (David Estrada 77'), Azriel Gonzalez (Khai Brisco 90'+3'); Lamar Neagle
Substitutes not used: Jacob Castro, Denso Ulysse, Nick Hinds, Rodrigue Ele
Total shots: 15
Shots on goal: 7
COL - Steward Ceus; Taylor Hunter, Jamal Jack, Josh Suggs; Jordan Burt, Sam Hamilton, Jordan Schweitzer, Shane Malcolm, Saeed Robinson; Karsten Hanlin; AJ Ajeakwa (Marty Maybin 77')
Substitutes not used: Moise Pouaty, Pascal Eboussi, Taeseong Kim, Luke Vercollone
Total shots: 14
Shots on goal: 3
Images from this story
Alec Diaz of Sounders FC 2 celebrates his first professional goal
(Charis Wilson / Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 11, 2018
- Indy Eleven Match Preview | Indy Eleven at Louisville City FC - Indy Eleven
- Promotions to Highlight Nashville SC's Final Home Game of Regular Season - Nashville SC
- USL's Preferred Supplier Program Adds Bosch - USL
- Nashville SC Hands out End of the Season Awards at "Taste of Nashville SC" - Nashville SC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati at Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls II Name Jamie Ponce General Manager - New York Red Bulls II
- Join Us Saturday for Our 2018 Season Finale - Penn FC
- FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma Earns USL Player of Month Honors - FC Cincinnati
- STLFC Steps Closer to Playoffs with 1-0 Win over Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Saint Louis FC
- Cincinnati's Ledesma Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- Roughnecks Host Sounders 2 Saturday in Season Finale - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Lights FC, Vegas Stats & Information Network (VSIN) to Produce Groundbreaking "Bet-Cast" of Regular Season Finale vs. Sacramento - Las Vegas Lights FC
- S2 Earns Point in Home Finale at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Rallies Late to Stun Phoenix Rising FC in 2018 Home Finale, 5-2 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Two Road Goals Earn Switchbacks FC Draw in Final Game of 2018 - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Defiance Stories
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Austin Bold FC - June 15, 2019
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements
- Tacoma Defiance Loses 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - June 8, 2019