Lights FC Rallies Late to Stun Phoenix Rising FC in 2018 Home Finale, 5-2
LAS VEGAS - The first season of Las Vegas Lights FC action in Downtown Las Vegas finished with a bang.
Four loud ones in the second half Wednesday night at Cashman Field.
All in a wild 13-minute stretch, to be exact.
Miguel Garduño, Raul Mendiola, Carlos Alvarez and Sammy Ochoa all scored goals between the 71st and 84th minutes to complete a stunning comeback against one of the USL Western Conference's top outfits, as Lights FC shot past Phoenix Rising FC, 5-2, in front of 5,929 fans in the regular season home finale.
The five goals scored was a season-high for Lights FC.
"We had a talk at halftime - We had to come out and win this game," forward Ochoa said. "Last home game, we had to come out strong, so we came out of the locker room with a little fire and put them away.
"That's what we wanted - A thank you to our fans."
Despite equalizing with a Juan Carlos Garcia penalty kick after Phoenix scored in the match's 12th minute, Lights FC found itself trailing Phoenix at halftime, 2-1.
For the fourth time in five matches, Lights FC out-shot its opponent (16-12). The difference was that this time, the ball found the back of the net in a giant wave, as the offensive broke through at the perfect time - on Fan Appreciation Night.
The avalanche started in the 71st minute, when defender Miguel Garduño scored in close in front of the Supporters Section off of an Ochoa assist.
Three minutes later, it was leading scorer Raul Mendiola delivering his 10th goal of 2018 from close range.
In the 79th minute, Carlos Alvarez gave the team some cushion with a 4-2 lead, as Mendiola assisted the team captain's seventh goal of the season.
The final cherry on top was the most impressive, as an Alex Mendoza cross into the box was scissor-kicked home by Ochoa, who ran to celebrate with the fans after scoring his eighth goal of the year.
"We owed everything to ourselves and the fans - Mostly to the fans," Alvarez said. "It's a good victory, and leaves a good taste in our mouths. They deserved this. They've been behind us the whole season, and this was the only way we could repay them."
Also big in the match was Las Vegas native Thomas Olsen in goal, who was making his third straight start. He made several key saves, finishing with seven on the night against nine shots on goal.
The night concluded with the team hanging around on the pitch to take pictures and sign autographs for the fans who showed up for what the team hopes will be a great launching point into Year Two in DTLV, beginning in February 2019.
Lights FC now hits the road to conclude its inaugural regular season on Saturday night, when it faces Sacramento Republic FC at 7:30 p.m. That match can be seen locally on myLVTV, and will stream nationwide on ESPN+.
Images from this story
Las Vegas Lights FC celebrates one of its four second half goals in a 5-2 victory over Phoenix Rising FC
(L.E. Baskow / Lights FC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 11, 2018
- Indy Eleven Match Preview | Indy Eleven at Louisville City FC - Indy Eleven
- Promotions to Highlight Nashville SC's Final Home Game of Regular Season - Nashville SC
- USL's Preferred Supplier Program Adds Bosch - USL
- Nashville SC Hands out End of the Season Awards at "Taste of Nashville SC" - Nashville SC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati at Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls II Name Jamie Ponce General Manager - New York Red Bulls II
- Join Us Saturday for Our 2018 Season Finale - Penn FC
- FC Cincinnati's Emmanuel Ledesma Earns USL Player of Month Honors - FC Cincinnati
- STLFC Steps Closer to Playoffs with 1-0 Win over Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Saint Louis FC
- Cincinnati's Ledesma Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- Roughnecks Host Sounders 2 Saturday in Season Finale - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Lights FC, Vegas Stats & Information Network (VSIN) to Produce Groundbreaking "Bet-Cast" of Regular Season Finale vs. Sacramento - Las Vegas Lights FC
- S2 Earns Point in Home Finale at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Rallies Late to Stun Phoenix Rising FC in 2018 Home Finale, 5-2 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Two Road Goals Earn Switchbacks FC Draw in Final Game of 2018 - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Stun New Mexico United with a Dominant 5-1 Win
- Match Preview vs. New Mexico United
- Eric Wynalda Unveils New "It" Summer Refreshment Drink -- $5 "Waldo's" Featuring Jarritos & Tequila
- $1 Beer Night' Forget It Lights FC Announce $2 Tequila Night
- Lights FC Start the Summer of Soccer with a 1-1 Draw against OCSC