Rush Captain to start in NLL All-Star Game
Edmonton, AB--. Edmonton Rush Captain Andrew Turner has been named one of the starting six for the West Division in the 2007 National Lacrosse League All-Star Game.
The game will be held Saturday, March 10 at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Oregon.
This will be Turner's fourth appearance in the NLL All-Star Game and second time representing the Rush. However, due to injury last season, Turner was unable to attend the All-Star Game in Toronto and was replaced in the lineup by teammate Cam Bergman. In its current East vs. West format, the East leads the All-Star Game series 2-1, but the West is coming off a 14-13 win in Toronto.
Turner is off to a powerful start with the Rush this season, solidifying what has become a much tougher Edmonton defence corps. The 29-year-old defenceman from Beamsville, Ont., has provided the Rush with strength and composure on the back end and often has gone up against the opposition's best offensive threats.
"He's having an excellent year and he's really been a great role model for our young guys with the way he competes every night. He leads by example," said Rush GM/Head Coach Paul Day.
"We are very excited for him and it's a great honour to be voted in by the league's GMs and coaches. He had a lot of pressure on him last year and some of that pressure has been taken off this year with the offensive guys we've brought in. Plus he's 100% healthy this year after playing hurt all of last season."
Through six games this season, Turner has notched four assists (one shorthanded) and scooped up 27 loose balls.
Not only has Turner found success in leading the Rush, he is coming off a tremendous summer season that saw him help Team Canada win gold at the 2006 World Field Lacrosse Championship. He also captained the Victoria Shamrocks to a championship in B.C.'s Western Lacrosse Association and a spot in the Mann Cup final.
The Rush host the Portland LumberJax this Friday at Rexall Place, 7:00 p.m.
The Edmonton Rush believes ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. Fans are encouraged to wear Black, Be Loud and Bring ATTITUDE.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 21, 2007
- Knighthawks Pat Cougeven on News 10 NBC Friday - Rochester Knighthawks
- Merrill Will to Represent LumberJax in Western Division - Portland Lumberjax
- Wings' Wailes Named NLL's Rookie Of The Week - Philadelphia Wings
- Mammoth to be featured on ESPN2 - Colorado Mammoth
- Gajic honored by NLL - Colorado Mammoth
- Rochester's John Grant named NLL All-Star Game starter - Rochester Knighthawks
- Weekend on the road features Rush, Mammoth - Portland Lumberjax
- an Dawson named NLL Offensive Player of the Week - Arizona Sting
- NLL Announces Week Eight Player Awards - NLL
- Rock face Roughnecks in home and home series - Toronto Rock
- Rush Captain to start in NLL All-Star Game - Edmonton Rush
- Dawson and Blasdell named All-Star starters - Arizona Sting
- Chicago Shamrox Player Cam Woods Makes NLL All-Star Team - Chicago Shamrox
- Carey named starter for NLL All-Star Game - Colorado Mammoth
- Three Wings Chosen As Starters for 2007 NLL All-Star Game - Philadelphia Wings
- NLL Announces All-Star Game Starting Lineups - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.