Royals down Rockets in shootout
The Kelowna Rockets fell the Victoria Royals 4-3 in a shootout Tuesday night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Arena in Victoria, B.C.
Ethan Ernst had two points for Kelowna, but the Royals came back from a two-goal deficit to force extra time.
Gary Haden (2) put the Royals in front first when took off on a breakaway after a Rockets defenceman became tied up with a linesman. Just before the end of the opening period, Pavel Novak (6) deflected a shot between his legs to tie up the game.
Sean Comrie (2) gave the Rockets their first lead of the game 3:12 into the second period, Elias Carmichael picked up his first WHL point with an assist on the go-ahead goal. Just over four minutes later, Ernst (1) cashed in on the odd-man rush to extend the Rockets lead. Shane Farkas then replaced Brock Gould in net for the Royals.
Will Warm (2) and Kaid Oliver (1) scored 1:44 apart early in the third period to tie the game.
A shootout was needed to determine a winner. Topping and Haden were both unsuccessful in the first round. Foote missed in the second round but Haden was successful for the Royals. Needing a goal to continue, Leif Mattson was denied.
The Rockets record is now 7-4-1-1.
Roman Basran stopped 25 of the 28 shots he faced, his record moves to 6-3-1-1. The Royals outshot the Rockets 28-24.
Kelowna will face the Royals again tomorrow night at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, puck drop is set for 7:05 pm.
Six and twelve game mini-packs are now on sale! Order yours today by filling out this form or by contacting Gavin Hamilton at 250-979-0851 (email@example.com) or Andrew Deans at 250-979-0863 (Andrew@kelownarockets.com).
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Edmonton Oil Kings Rise to Second in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kirby Dach to Remain with Chicago Blackhawks - Saskatoon Blades
- Preview: Broncos Head East to Manitoba for Two Games - Swift Current Broncos
- T-Birds Will Have 8 Games Broadcast on JOEtv this Season - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Portland's CW to Broadcast Eight Winterhawks Games - Portland Winterhawks
- Blade City Fights Cancer - Saskatoon Blades
- Ty Smith Named Captain for Team WHL at 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - Spokane Chiefs
- Nolan Foote named alternate captain of Team WHL for CIBC Canada Russia Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Bowen Byram Named An Alternate Captain for Team WHL - Vancouver Giants
- Team WHL Leadership Group Announced for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - WHL
- Why the Kamloops Blazers Work with this Mental Consultant - Kamloops Blazers
- Saskatoon Product Chadwick Added to Active Roster - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Face the Hurricanes for the First Time this Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Rally Past Rockets in Shootout - Victoria Royals
- Royals down Rockets in shootout - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.