Edmonton Oil Kings Rise to Second in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings
October 30, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Canadian Hockey League today announced the week seven edition of the Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings for the 2019-20 season. The weekly rankings of the CHL's Top-10 teams are selected by a panel of National Hockey League scouts.
Moving up to second place in this week's rankings are the Edmonton Oil Kings, who lead Western Hockey League standings with an 10-1-3-0 record and 23 points. The Oil Kings scored a pair of home victories this past weekend, topping the Medicine Hat Tigers 4-2 and beating the Seattle Thunderbirds 6-2 on Saturday. The team got a boost of scoring from rookie forward Dylan Guenther, who registered four points (2G-2A) across the two games, including the second multi-goal game of his WHL career. Winners of five-consecutive games, the Oil Kings host the Saskatoon Blades on Friday, November 1 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Remaining at the number four sport in the Kia CHL Top 10 rankings are the Prince Albert Raiders, who sit second overall in the WHL standings with a 9-2-3-0 record and 21 points. The Raiders finished their U.S. Division swing with a 3-2 shootout win over the Tri-City Americans and a 4-1 win against the Spokane Chiefs after a tight 4-3 loss to the Portland Winterhawks. Washington Capitals prospect Aliaksei Protas played a huge role in the victories, leading the Raiders with four points (3G-1A) over the three games. Still leading the East Division, the Raiders return home to host the Regina Pats on Friday, November 1 (7:00 p.m. MT).
Moving up the rankings to the number nine spot were the division-leading Everett Silvertips, who extended their winning streak to five games with a 3-2 win against the Vancouver Giants Friday, giving them a 9-3-0-0 record through 12 games. Calgary Flames prospect Dustin Wolf played a key part in Friday's victory, stopping 34 of 36 shots sent his way. The Tustin, Calif. product currently leads the CHL with a 0.945 save percentage and ranks third in the WHL with a 1.75 goals-against average. The Silvertips will be looking to continue their strong stretch as they host the Portland Winterhawks on Friday, November 1 (7:35 p.m. PT).
This week, the Winterhawks find themselves as honourable mentions in the Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings. Their hot play continued this past week with wins again the Raiders and Spokane Chiefs. Overage forward Jake Gricius posted seven points (3G-4A) in the two games to earn the honours of WHL On the Run Player of the Week. The Winterhawks' next test is against the division-leading Silvertips on Friday, November 1 (7:35 p.m. PT).
Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - Week 7
Rank: Team: Last Week Ranked: Total Weeks Ranked:
1 Sherbrooke Phoenix (13-1-2-0) 1 7
2 Edmonton Oil Kings (10-1-3-0) 3 7
3 Oshawa Generals (11-2-0-1) 2 5
4 Prince Albert Raiders (9-2-3-0) 4 4
5 Chicoutimi Sagueneens (10-3-2-0) 5 7
6 Moncton Wildcats (12-3-0-0) - 1
7 Cape Breton Eagles (12-4-0-0) 7 4
8 Owen Sound Attack (8-3-0-1) 6 3
9 Everett Silvertips (9-3-0-0) - 1
10 Flint Firebirds (9-3-0-0) - 1
Peterborough Petes (10-4-0-0) 9 1
Portland Winterhawks (8-3-0-1) - 1
Windsor Spitfires (9-3-1-0) - 0
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Edmonton Oil Kings Rise to Second in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Kirby Dach to Remain with Chicago Blackhawks - Saskatoon Blades
- Preview: Broncos Head East to Manitoba for Two Games - Swift Current Broncos
- T-Birds Will Have 8 Games Broadcast on JOEtv this Season - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Portland's CW to Broadcast Eight Winterhawks Games - Portland Winterhawks
- Blade City Fights Cancer - Saskatoon Blades
- Ty Smith Named Captain for Team WHL at 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - Spokane Chiefs
- Nolan Foote named alternate captain of Team WHL for CIBC Canada Russia Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Bowen Byram Named An Alternate Captain for Team WHL - Vancouver Giants
- Team WHL Leadership Group Announced for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series - WHL
- Why the Kamloops Blazers Work with this Mental Consultant - Kamloops Blazers
- Saskatoon Product Chadwick Added to Active Roster - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Face the Hurricanes for the First Time this Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Rally Past Rockets in Shootout - Victoria Royals
- Royals down Rockets in shootout - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.