Rox Held to Two Hits in Blowout Loss
Grand Junction hit the 30-loss mark on Monday as Orem dismantled the Rockies 12-1 at Suplizio Field.
After being unable to convert on a leadoff triple by Bladimir Restituyo in the bottom of the first, the Rox were able to manufacture a run and a 1-0 lead via a sacrifice fly from Todd Isaacs in the second.
However, it was all Owlz from there on as in the very next inning Will Wilson crossed the plate on a wild pitch and tied the game at one before Brandon White's two-run single gave Orem the 3-1 lead.
After Helcris Olivarez lasted just three innings, the Rockies' bullpen was hit hard in the middle frames as Trysten Barlow and Boby Johnson combined to allow six runs over three innings en route to the Owlz 7-1 lead entering the seventh.
In the eighth, the visitors added three more against Zach Guth who made it just one third of an inning and walked four to balloon the lead to 12-1.
Emilker Guzman, in his fourth start against GJ, earned the win along with a new season-high of seven strikeouts as Olivarez fell to 2-4 after being tagged with the loss.
Junction will toss Mike Ruff in the season finale tomorrow against Orem's Stiward Aquino as the Rox will look to salvage a series split.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Mustangs Overcome Five-Run Deficit for 10-6 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Series in Missoula Moved to Idaho Falls - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Osprey Take Both in Great Falls - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Osprey Series vs. Chukars Moved to Idaho Falls - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Rox Held to Two Hits in Blowout Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
- Clutch Hits in 10th Propel Raptors to Victory - Ogden Raptors
- Late Rally Falls Short - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Drop Both Ends of Doubleheader - Great Falls Voyagers
- Mustangs Hold off Chukars Late to Win, 4-2 - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.