Late Rally Falls Short
Idaho Falls, ID - With the offense quiet most of the night, the Chukars hung around late in Monday night's ballgame despite falling behind early. Idaho Falls got the tying run to second in the ninth inning with nobody out, but failed to get that run across, falling by a 4-2 final. The Chukars will not play Billings again at home in 2019.
The Mustangs struck in the top of the first, as with two out and nobody on, James Free walked. Reniel Ozuna then singled Free to third, and Free then scored on a wild pitch.
Billings continued producing in the second, as they started the second inning with three straight hits. Leonardo Seminati singled to start the frame, and Jonathan Willems tripled him home to make it 2-0 Mustangs. Valentin Martinez stepped in next and singled to left, scoring Willems.
The Mustangs extended their lead with a run in the fifth inning, as a leadoff walk to Free scored on a double from Victor Ruiz. However, that was the last run Billings scored in the game.
Noah Davis got the start for Billings, and pitched a career high five innings, not allowing a run. The Chukars finally got a run in the bottom of the sixth, as Brady McConnell hit a solo homer against new reliever Omar Conoropo.
The score remained 4-1 until the bottom of the ninth, where the Chukars started the inning with back to back singles from Clay Dungan & Rhett Aplin. Juan Carlos Negret then doubled to right, scoring Dungan and moving Aplin to third. More importantly, it put the tying run in Negret at second with nobody out.
However, the rally was for naught, as Billings closer Jake Stevenson struck out the next three to end the game.
Tomorrow the Chukars hit the road for the first of six games, starting with a two game series in Missoula. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and you can hear the game on ESPN 980 The Sports Zone and online via the TuneIn App.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Mustangs Overcome Five-Run Deficit for 10-6 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Series in Missoula Moved to Idaho Falls - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Osprey Take Both in Great Falls - Missoula Osprey
- Osprey Series vs. Chukars Moved to Idaho Falls - Missoula Osprey
- Rox Held to Two Hits in Blowout Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
- Clutch Hits in 10th Propel Raptors to Victory - Ogden Raptors
- Late Rally Falls Short - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyagers Drop Both Ends of Doubleheader - Great Falls Voyagers
- Mustangs Hold off Chukars Late to Win, 4-2 - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.