Roughnecks Name 2021-22 Leadership Group
Calgary, AB - Curtis Dickson has been named captain of the Calgary Roughnecks.
Jesse King and Curtis Manning were named alternate captains by the team prior to their season-opener in Buffalo Saturday.
"Curtis has been a great leader and assistant captain for many years, and with the departure of Dane Dobbie, there was no question in our minds that Curtis would be our captain." said head coach Curt Malawsky. "Curtis leads by example with a very strong work ethic. His compete level is off the charts and his will to win is exactly what this young team needs"
Entering his 11th season with the Roughnecks, Dickson follows in the footsteps of Dane Dobbie (2019-20), Dan MacRae (2017-19), Mike Carnegie (2016-17), Andrew McBride (2011-15), Tracey Kelusky (2003-10), Kaleb Toth (2002) and Bruce Alexander (2002) in captaining the team. The 33-year-old British Columbia native has played 162 games in his NLL career, notching 416 goals and 347 assists. Dickson has made the All-Pro Second team five times (2013-2014 & 2016-2018), and was named Rookie of the Year in 2011.
Manning is an 11-year veteran on the Roughnecks defence, the Vancouver product has posted 21 goals and 52 assists with the team, over 138 career games.
"Curtis is in phenomenal shape. He is the ultimate pro on and off the floor. He is a fierce competitor and he truly exemplifies the meaning of playing for the guy next to him."
King has shown significant leadership and commitment on and off the floor since being acquired in a trade with Georgia in 2018.
"Jesse has really shown he is ready for a leadership role on this team. He has earned the respect of his teammates, coaching staff and the organization and is an elite talent in this league," said Malawsky. The 26-year-old forward has 59 goals in 41 career games.
Malawsky noted that while three players will have letters on their jerseys, there are plenty of leaders in the dressing room.
"All three players are very deserving of this honor," said Malawsky, "and there will be other leaders within the group that will also be heavily involved in team-oriented decisions throughout the season. I respectfully speak on behalf of the organisation, coaches, staff and players in congratulating and welcoming Curtis Dickson, Curtis Manning and Jessie King to the long list of excellent leaders the Roughnecks organization have had over the years."
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from December 4, 2021
- Oh, What a Feeling: Rock Win Home Opener - Toronto Rock
- Panther City Lacrosse Club Falls 12-11 to Wings in Franchise Opener - Panther City Lacrosse Club
- Riggers Fall to Bandits 16-9 - Calgary Roughnecks
- FireWolves Fall to Rock in Opening Game Thriller - Albany FireWolves
- Roughnecks Name 2021-22 Leadership Group - Calgary Roughnecks
- What to Watch for vs. Albany FireWolves - Toronto Rock
- Rochester Knighthawks Game Preview: Saturday, December 4 at New York - Rochester Knighthawks
- Seals Drop Back-And-Forth Affair - San Diego Seals
- Warriors Open with 8-7 Thriller in San Diego - Vancouver Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.