Seals Drop Back-And-Forth Affair
The San Diego Seals dropped the season opener on Friday night, 8-7, to the Vancouver Warriors in a gritty nail-biter that came down to the final minute of the game.
"We'll take a lot of learnings from this game," said General Manager and Head Coach Patrick Merrill. "This was a very typical NLL game, where anything can happen. You're given an inch, you take a mile, and that's how it was for both teams."
San Diego's offense was slow to start until newcomer Dane Dobbie buried the first goal of the season, and his first goal in San Diego, in the second quarter. Rookie forward Tre Leclaire netted his first career goal shortly after and finished with two goals and three points on the night. Rookie Mac O'Keefe sniped an underhand shot past Buque for his first NLL goal. Forwards Casey Jackson, Zack Greer and Wesley Berg each added goals on the night.
"I felt like we weren't on the same page a lot of the night," said Merrill. "We need to start clicking more, creating that chemistry and put some runs together. It was nice to see Tre and Mac get their first goals, they played well tonight."
Goaltender Frank Scigliano stopped 30 shots keeping it a close affair all night. The Seals defense held the Warriors to five goals through three quarters until Vancouver came back to take the one-goal lead in the final frame.
"We have to give them credit," continued Merrill. "They came out in the fourth quarter aggressive and played well. Credit to Frankie [Scigliano], he stood on his head all night and kept us in the game. We have to play a full 60-minutes and we didn't do that tonight."
The Seals will hit the road to face the Colorado Mammoth on Saturday, December 11. For breaking news and updates, follow @SealsLax on social media.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from December 4, 2021
- Oh, What a Feeling: Rock Win Home Opener - Toronto Rock
- Panther City Lacrosse Club Falls 12-11 to Wings in Franchise Opener - Panther City Lacrosse Club
- Riggers Fall to Bandits 16-9 - Calgary Roughnecks
- FireWolves Fall to Rock in Opening Game Thriller - Albany FireWolves
- Roughnecks Name 2021-22 Leadership Group - Calgary Roughnecks
- What to Watch for vs. Albany FireWolves - Toronto Rock
- Rochester Knighthawks Game Preview: Saturday, December 4 at New York - Rochester Knighthawks
- Seals Drop Back-And-Forth Affair - San Diego Seals
- Warriors Open with 8-7 Thriller in San Diego - Vancouver Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.