Rockets power play lifts off in 7-0 victory over Cougars
The Kelowna Rockets power play carried the team to a 7-0 victory over the Prince George Cougars Sunday evening at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC.
Kelowna's power play went four for nine as the Rockets soared to their second victory of the preseason.
The Rockets got on the board first just 2:15 into the game when Michael Farren fed the puck out front to Deegan Mofford (1) who was standing on the doorstep. With a Rocket and a Cougar sitting in the penalty box, Prince George was called for another penalty. Kyle Crosbie (2) was able to capitalize on the four on three power play when the puck came off the backboards right onto his stick. Mark Liwiski (1) extended the Rockets lead by three with another power play marker just before the end of the first.
Michael Farren (1) snapped home a power play wrister blocker side to give the Rockets a 4-0 lead 1:19 into the second period. Kelowna found themselves in penalty trouble when Mark Liwiski was called for kneeing while Cole Carrier was already in the box, the Rockets were able to kill off the 1:06 five on three penalty and the rest of Liwiski's penalty. Kelowna's offence then exploded. Crosbie (3) picked up his second of the night while on the power play, and Ethan Ernst (1) and Dallon Wilton (2) chipped in goals minutes apart to make it 7-0 for the Rockets.
Kelowna played defensively throughout the third period to maintain their seven-goal lead and preserve Cole Schwebius's shutout.
Schwebius turned aside all 21 shots he faced. The Rockets outshot the Cougars 42-21.
Kelowna is now 2-2-0-0 in preseason action.
The Rockets will face the Kamloops Blazers on the road Friday, Sept. 13th. They'll then return home the next night to host the Blazers for their final preseason game of 2019. Two dollars from each ticket sold during preseason Rockets home games will go to Cops for Kids. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets pre-season action
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 8, 2019
- Rockets power play lifts off in 7-0 victory over Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Blanked by Kelowna - Prince George Cougars
- Giants Fall in Preseason Finale 5-1 to Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Edged in Shootout - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Edge Silvertips in Overtime - Victoria Royals
- Playing in Flames Colours a Dream Come True for Red Deer Native Nielsen - Red Deer Rebels
- Former Rebels Forward Philp Officially Begins Pro Career at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Earn 4-1 Victory against Spokane Under Unique Circumstance - Tri-City Americans
- Winnipeg ICE Collect 5-1 Win over Wheat Kings in Portage - Winnipeg Ice
- Giants Grab Fourth Straight Preseason Win Saturday at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Fall to Host Hurricanes in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Cougars Bettered by Giants, 5-3 - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Down Warriors in Moose Jaw - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.