Raiders Down Warriors in Moose Jaw
Moose Jaw, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders (2-1-0-0) picked up their second win of the WHL Pre-season on Saturday night, picking up a 3-2 win over the Moose Jaw Warriors (1-4-0-0) at Mosaic Place.
Justin Nachbaur had an assist on all three goals for the Raiders. Evan Herman and Ilya Usau each had a goal and an assist in the win.
Ozzy Wiesblatt struck first for the Raiders at the 7:16 mark of the opening period. With the Raiders killing off a five-on-three, Nachbaur sprung Wiesblatt on a breakaway. The Calgary, AB product converted on his chance for his third goal of the exhibition schedule.
With 5:27 to go in the first, the Warriors tied the game. Drae Gardiner got his first goal of the WHL Pre-season to level the score.
About 90 seconds later, the Raiders regained their lead. Usau recorded his first goal of the pre-season to put the Raiders up 2-1 after the first period.
That score held until late in the second period. Herman jumped into the play and finished off an odd-man rush with Nachbaur to give the Raiders a 3-1 advantage with 2:18 to play in the second.
The Warriors cut back into the lead 5:23 into the third. Carson Denomie solved goaltender Boston Bilous, making it a 3-2 game for the Raiders.
Bilous kept everything else out for the rest of the game, finishing with 24 saves to pick up his second win of the WHL Pre-season. Jackson Berry stopped 29 shots in the loss for the Warriors.
The Raiders close out their WHL Pre-season schedule next weekend with a home-and-home series against the Regina Pats beginning on Friday night at the Brandt Centre. On Saturday, the two teams meet again at the Art Hauser Centre in their pre-season finale. The opening faceoff is 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and students and $5 for children 12 and under.
The 2019-20 Home Opener is Friday, September 20 when the Saskatoon Blades visit the Art Hauser Centre. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Single-game tickets are now available for purchase. Pick up your tickets at the Raiders Office and at raiderhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 8, 2019
- Rockets power play lifts off in 7-0 victory over Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Blanked by Kelowna - Prince George Cougars
- Giants Fall in Preseason Finale 5-1 to Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Edged in Shootout - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Edge Silvertips in Overtime - Victoria Royals
- Playing in Flames Colours a Dream Come True for Red Deer Native Nielsen - Red Deer Rebels
- Former Rebels Forward Philp Officially Begins Pro Career at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Earn 4-1 Victory against Spokane Under Unique Circumstance - Tri-City Americans
- Winnipeg ICE Collect 5-1 Win over Wheat Kings in Portage - Winnipeg Ice
- Giants Grab Fourth Straight Preseason Win Saturday at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Fall to Host Hurricanes in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Cougars Bettered by Giants, 5-3 - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Down Warriors in Moose Jaw - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.