Giants Grab Fourth Straight Preseason Win Saturday at Home
Vancouver, B.C. - Saturday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants (4-1) secured their fourth preseason victory in a row - A 5-3 decision over the Prince George Cougars. Lukas Svejkovsky broke open a 3-3 tie with two consecutive goals in the third period. Other Giants goals came courtesy of Justin Sourdif, Jadon Joseph and Jacob Gendron. Goaltender Drew Sim stopped 32 shots to earn the win in goal. Ilijah Colina, Ryan Schoettler and Craig Armstrong responded with goals for the Cougars.
PG - Ilijah Colina wasted little time getting the Cougars on the board. Just 49 seconds in, his shot from the left side of the net found its way home.
VAN - Jadon Joseph answered for the Giants with his first of the preseason at 6:06. Joseph finished off a right-wing corner feed from Owen Hardy. 2004-born prospect Julian Cull added the second assist on the play.
PG - Just over two minutes later, Ryan Schoettler restored the Cougar lead on a five-on-three power play. His one-timer from the left-wing point was set up by Ilijah Colina and Ethan Sampson.
Shots: 15-4 Prince George
VAN - Justin Sourdif evened the game at 2-2 at 14:12. His shot from the left-wing circle off the rush snuck under the bar and past the glove of Isaiah DiLaura for his second of the exhibition season.
VAN - 13 seconds later off a faceoff victory, Jacob Gendron converted off a low shot from the left-wing point. His second of the preseason was assisted by Jackson Shepard.
PG - Craig Armstrong fired right back for Prince George at 16:56 on a shorthanded breakaway to make the score 3-3.
Shots: 12-8 Vancouver
VAN - 50 seconds into the third, Lukas Svejkovsky notched his first of two on the night on a forehand deke in close. His goal was unassisted.
VAN - Svejkovsky struck again at 8:48. This time it was a backhand deke, on a power play, off a feed from John Little.
Shots: 12-11 Prince George
GAME STATS Final Score: Vancouver 5 - Prince George 3
Final Shots: 35-27 Prince George
Drew Sim: 32/35 saves for Vancouver
Isaiah DiLaura: 22/27 saves for Prince George
Vancouver:1/4 on the Power Play
Prince George: 1/7 on the Power Play
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow at 5:00 PM against the Kamloops Blazers.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 8, 2019
- Rockets power play lifts off in 7-0 victory over Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Blanked by Kelowna - Prince George Cougars
- Giants Fall in Preseason Finale 5-1 to Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Edged in Shootout - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Edge Silvertips in Overtime - Victoria Royals
- Playing in Flames Colours a Dream Come True for Red Deer Native Nielsen - Red Deer Rebels
- Former Rebels Forward Philp Officially Begins Pro Career at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Earn 4-1 Victory against Spokane Under Unique Circumstance - Tri-City Americans
- Winnipeg ICE Collect 5-1 Win over Wheat Kings in Portage - Winnipeg Ice
- Giants Grab Fourth Straight Preseason Win Saturday at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Fall to Host Hurricanes in Overtime - Red Deer Rebels
- Cougars Bettered by Giants, 5-3 - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Down Warriors in Moose Jaw - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Drop a 3-1 Decision Sunday at Home to Victoria
- Vancouver Giants Knock off Broncos in a Nine-Round Shootout
- Vancouver Giants Fall in Kamloops to Kick off the Weekend
- Byram Named to Team WHL's Roster for 2019 Cibc Canada Russia Series
- Giants Wrap up Prairie Road Swing with a 4-2 Win in Regina