Rockets down Royals 4-0 to open preseason
The Kelowna Rockets opened their preseason with a 4-0 victory over the Victoria Royals Friday night at Prospera Place.
Both teams elected to go with younger rosters, dressing a total of eight 2004 born players in the game. Nolan Flamand, John Babcock and Rilen Kovacevic suited up for the Rockets.
Alex Swetlikoff (1) scored the opening goal of the game when he fired a shot from the left faceoff circle past the glove of Keegan Maddocks. Trevor Wong took the first penalty of the game for tripping at 14:55 but Victoria did not capitalize. The Rockets entered the first intermission up 1-0.
The second period began with four on four action as Mark Liwiski and River Fahey both sat for unsportsmanlike conduct. With lots of room to move both teams had quality chances, but neither could beat the opposing goaltender. The Royals then took three back to back penalties, but could not score on the first two chances. At 9:57 the Rockets and Royals made a goaltender change, Cole Tisdale replaced Cole Schwebius in net. The second period came to an end with the same score from when it started, but Kelowna still had remaining power play time on the board.
The Rockets entered the third period with 1:14 remaining on the power play but didn't find the back of the net. Elias Carmichael (1) put the Rockets up 2-0 with a bomb while Kelowna was on their fifth power play of the game. While playing four on four hockey Dallon Wilton (1) wired home a wrister to make it 3-0 for Kelowna just past the midway point of the game. Kyle Crosbie (1) extended the Rockets lead to four.
Kelowna's preseason record is now 1-0-0-0.
Schwebius turned aside all nine shots he faced while Tisdale turned aside the five shots fired on him. The Rockets outshot the Royals 25 - 14.
Kelowna is back in action Sunday when they hit the road to face the Kamloops Blazers Sunday afternoon at the Sandman Centre, puck drop is set for 2:00pm. You can follow along here or on the Rockets twitter.
Packages for the 2020 Memorial Cup are now available to current and future 2019/2020 Kelowna Rockets Season Ticket Holders by contacting Andrew Deans or Gavin Hamilton at the Kelowna Rockets Office at 250-860-7825. Don't be stuck outside of Prospera Place, become a season ticket holder today and guarantee your seats.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets vs. Victoria Royals Preseason Action
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Rosters Set for Intrasquad Games - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Swift Current Edges Pats in Shootout - Regina Pats
- Beaupit Signed to Standard Player Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Davidson Bats in Winner with 18 Seconds Left for 4-3 T-Birds Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hurricanes Ink Pauls - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Fall to Warriors in Overtime - Saskatoon Blades
- Silvertips Acquire Defenseman Parker Hendren from the Vancouver Giants in Exchange for a Conditional Draft Selection, 2020-21 - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Trade Parker Hendren to Everett for a Conditional Draft Pick - Vancouver Giants
- Giants Earn a 4-3 Shootout Victory Saturday against Portland - Vancouver Giants
- Hitmen 2019 Training Camp Day Four Recap - Calgary Hitmen
- Team Black Earns Shootout Win in Entertaining Rebels Intrasquad Game - Red Deer Rebels
- Rebels Make Moves After Black & White Game - Red Deer Rebels
- Tips Go OT to Take Preseason Opener - Everett Silvertips
- Ams' Opening Preseason Game Ends with OT Loss to Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets down Royals 4-0 to open preseason - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.