Rockets Cool off Victoria
The Rockets win streak grew to five with 5-2 win over the Victoria Royals on New Year's Day at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC.
Talyn Boyko backstopped the Rockets to their 16th win of the season, while Jake Lee posted a pair of goals and assists.
After a tame first period and a second period that went back and forth, the Rockets finally broke free in the third period with three goals.
Deadlocked at zero after one, Mark Liwiski (8) broke the tie 1:01 into the second period on a cross-ice feed from Colton Dach. It didn't take long for Royals leading scorer, Bailey Peach (19), to knot things up again, he beat Boyko just 1:33 later. Jake Poole (6) then traded off goals with Peach (20).
Shortly after a Rockets disallowed goal, Jake Lee (7) netted the game-winner on a wrap-around 11:17 into the third. Max Graham (7) then cashed in the insurance goal and Lee (8) scored his second of the night on the empty net.
Boyko made 19 saves on 21 shots to pick up his 11th win of the season, while Royals netminder Tyler Palmer stopped 39 of the 43 shots fired his way.
Kelowna was zero-for-two with the power play, while Victoria went zero-for-four.
The Rockets now sit second in the BC Division with a record of 16-9-0-3 and 35 points.
Kelowna will be back in action tomorrow when they head to Langley to face the Vancouver Giants at 4:00 p.m. Fans can watch the game on CHLtv or listen on AM 1550.
The Rockets next home game is Friday, January 7, when they'll host the Vancouver Giants at Prospera Place at 7:05 p.m. With capacity at Prospera place capped at 50%, limited single-game tickets remain. Fans can purchase their tickets online at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050. The box office is open 11:00 a.m. to 4:00p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and opens at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday home game days.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets gather following a goal
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 2, 2022
- Herman's Hat Trick Caps Off Win Over Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Double up Tigers 4-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rockets Earn Point in OT Setback - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Bested in Prince Albert - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hitmen Pull away from Tigers, 4-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Raiders Add Hildebrand to Roster - Prince Albert Raiders
- Gameday Preview - January 2 at Calgary - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Orzeck Leads ICE to 6-1 Win in Medicine Hat - Winnipeg Ice
- ICE Slide Past Tigers 6-1 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Stumbling Cougars Blasted by Kamloops - Prince George Cougars
- Toporowski, Atchison Power Chiefs to Weekend Sweep over Tri-City - Spokane Chiefs
- Maier's Impressive Play Not Enough as Blades Fall to Edmonton - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Cool off Victoria - Kelowna Rockets
- Warriors Drop Back-And-Forth Game to Pats in OT - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.