Rockers Rally, Take Series Opener
High Point, North Carolina - The High Point Rockers (31-30, 72-59) overcame an early deficit to top the Somerset Patriots (22-39, 64-67) 5-1 Friday night at BB&T Point
Somerset jumped in front with a two-out rally in the top of the first inning. Olmo Rosario started the rally with a base hit up the middle before Jimmy Paredes lined an RBI double to right-center field, putting the Patriots ahead 1-0.
The Rockers answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third inning. Hector Gomez tied the contest with an RBI infield single before Quincy Latimore drew a bases-loaded walk to put High Point ahead.
High Point added to their lead with two more runs in the fifth. A leadoff solo home run from Jared Mitchell (10) started the inning before Michael Russell later added a sacrifice fly to make it 4-1 Rockers.
Mitchell (11) sent a solo shot over the right field fence in the next inning to increase the High Point lead to 5-1. That proved to be the final run of the game.
John Brownell (W, 1-0) scattered one run on four hits over six innings to earn the win. David Holmberg (L, 2-8) allowed four runs on seven hits over 4.2 innings to take the loss.
The Patriots and Rockers continue their four-game series Saturday night. First pitch at BB&T Point is slated for 6:30 p.m.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until Friday, September 20th when the team returns home to face the New Britain Bees. The game will feature a Back-To-School Folders giveaway for the first 1,500 kids, presented by SCEA. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 13, 2019
- Ducks Outlast Blue Crabs in Extra-Inning Pitcher's Duel - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Rally, Take Series Opener - Somerset Patriots
- Crabs Drop Gut-Wrenching Extra Inning Battle - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers Clinch Winning Season in Inaugural Campaign - High Point Rockers
- Revs Rally for Three in Ninth, Steal Finale at Long Island as Magic Number Shrinks to Six - York Revolution
- Blue Crabs Stymie Bees Bats To Take Series - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.