Crabs Drop Gut-Wrenching Extra Inning Battle
Waldorf, MD - Tonight's series opener between the Blue Crabs and the Long Island Ducks redefined the term "pitcher's duel". Both sides duked it out, but when a 0-0 game headed to extras, the Ducks came out on top, 1-0.
A pair of southpaws, Darin Downs for the Ducks, and Kevin McGovern for the Blue Crabs battled it out in the contest.
Downs tossed five innings of no hit baseball while striking out ten Blue Crabs, and McGovern allowed just a trio of hits in seven scoreless innings.
Joe Iorio allowed the first Blue Crabs hit of the contest in the sixth inning as Edwin Garcia singled, and Adam Choplick continued where McGovern left off.
A scoring opportunity presented itself when Jon Griffin singled and moved in to scoring position on a Ducks error in the bottom of the eighth inning with no outs, but the Crabs couldn't capitalize. In the bottom of the ninth inning, the Crabs had runners at first and second with one out, but once again came up empty.
Suddenly, it became the first extra inning game at Regency Furniture Stadium this season, and it occurred with a scoreless contest through nine innings. Per the Atlantic League - MLB rule changes, a runner starts each extra inning at second base, and on just the seventh combined hit of the contest the Ducks came through on a Hector Sanchez single that would be the difference maker in a gut-wrenching Blue Crabs defeat, as the Long Island came out victorious, 1-0.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Thursday September 13th for game two of a three game set with the Long Island Ducks, with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
Catch all Blue Crabs home games on the Blue Crabs Broadcast Network, live streamed on YouTube (@SOMDBlueCrabs) Facebook (@SOMDBlueCrabs) and Twitter (@BlueCrabs).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 13, 2019
- Ducks Outlast Blue Crabs in Extra-Inning Pitcher's Duel - Long Island Ducks
- Rockers Rally, Take Series Opener - Somerset Patriots
- Crabs Drop Gut-Wrenching Extra Inning Battle - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Rockers Clinch Winning Season in Inaugural Campaign - High Point Rockers
- Revs Rally for Three in Ninth, Steal Finale at Long Island as Magic Number Shrinks to Six - York Revolution
- Blue Crabs Stymie Bees Bats To Take Series - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season