Roanoke Defeated by Mississippi
Riley Spraggs extends point streak to six games
ROANOKE, VA - Brad Barone made 45 saves and Riley Spraggs extended his point streak to six games but the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs came up short against the Mississippi RiverKings, 4-2, Saturday night at the Berglund Center. Roanoke's loss was its second in as many nights against the RiverKings.
The RiverKings struck first when Bryan Arneson snapped a shot past Barone just six minutes into the game. Mississippi extended their lead later in the period on a Vytal Cote power play marker, pushing the lead to 2-0.
Roanoke got started fast in the second period while working on a power play of its own. Steve Mele dished a pass to Mitchell Mueller who blasted a one-timer from the point that beat Tyler Green to put the Dawgs on the board.
They would keep up the pace later in the period as Dmytro Babenko fed Riley Spraggs just outside of the high slot. He let loose a slap shot that sailed through traffic and past a screened Green, tying the game at two.
At the tail end of the second period, Roanoke's Chris Kravtchouk was issued a match penalty that sent him to the showers early and put the Dawgs on a five-minute penalty kill. Mississippi would cash in on that penalty early in the third period. The Dawgs turned the puck over in the neutral zone, leading to a 2-on-1 break for Mississippi. Devin Mantha fed a pass to a streaking Ryan Marcuz that he tucked past Barone, putting the RiverKings back on top, 3-2.
Mississippi grabbed an insurance goal late in the third period as Arneson buried his second of the game. The RiverKings out-shot the Rail Yard Dawgs, 21-5, in the third period and 49-36 for the game.
Spraggs' goal was his team-leading fourth of the season and Nick Schneider recorded assists on both goals for the Dawgs. Barone stopped 45 of the 49 shots he faced.
The Rail Yard Dawgs dropped to 1-4-1 with the loss while the RiverKings improved to 4-2-0. Roanoke returns to the ice on Thursday night against the Macon Mayhem. Puck drop at the Berglund Center is scheduled for 7:05 PM
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2017
- RiverKings Roll over Rail Yard Dawgs - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Knock off Roanoke - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mayhem Dominate in 5-1 Win over Birmingham Bulls - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke Defeated by Mississippi - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears Win Streak Clipped by Rivermen - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Opportunistic Ice Flyers Down the Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Earn First Home Victory of Season in 6-4 Win Over Evansville - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke scores three times in third period to force Over time - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.