Mayhem Earn First Home Victory of Season in 6-4 Win Over Evansville
MACON, GA- Macon Mayhem goaltender Troy Passingham made 43 saves tonight in his first start of the season, as the Mayhem defeated the Evansville Thunderbolts 6-4 to pick up their first home victory of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Mayhem got on the board first, scoring the loan goal of the first period. Captain Daniel Gentzler scored on the back hand, assisted by Caleb Cameron and Daniel Echeverri.
There were four goals scored in the second period - two by each team. Stephen Pierog and Dennis Sicard scored their first goals of the season back-to-back to stretch the lead to 3-0. Evansville responded, however, as Cory Melkert and Justin MacDonald scored to decrease the lead to 3-2.
The scoring onslaught continued in the third period, as there were five more goals scored in the final frame. Darren McCormick scored his first goal of the season to give the Mayhem the two-goal lead. Evansville's Mark Petaccio scored just moments later on a slap shot to make it 4-3. The Mayhem added two more insurance goals, as Gentzler scored his second of the game and Cameron his first. Despite a late goal from Thunderbolt forward John Scorcia, the Mayhem prevailed to win 6-4.
Five different players recorded multi-point games for Macon, including Caleb Cameron (goal and assist), Daniel Gentzler (two goals), John Gustafsson (three assists), Darren McCormick (goal and assist), and Daniel Echeverri (two assists).
Troy Passingham earned his first start of the season, and he saved 43 of the 47 shots he faced to pick up his first victory of the year.
The Mayhem picked up their first home victory of the season, as they improve to 1-3-1 at the Macon Coliseum and 3-3-1 overall. When scoring first this season, Macon is 3-0-1.
The team allowed an opposing power play goal for the sixth consecutive game. The only game in which they have not allowed a goal on the penalty kill was the opening night 4-0 loss against the Pensacola Ice Flyers.
"I thought we responded very well tonight. Our puck possession and cycling game was very good tonight, and that showed as we were able to keep the puck in the offensive zone for long stretches throughout the game. [There is] still a lot to work on obviously, as we would like to limit the shots on net and limit the goals. This was a step in the right direction, however, and we'll look to take another step tomorrow against Birmingham."
STARS OF THE GAME
1. Caleb Cameron (one goal, one assist)
2. Daniel Gentzler (two goals, game-winning goal)
3. Darren McCormick (one goal, one assist)
Macon Mayhem: 3-3-1 (7 points)
Evansville Thunderbolts: 4-3-1 (9 points)
BACK IN ACTION
The Birmingham Bulls travel to Macon to take on the Mayhem for the first time Saturday night. Saturday is Food Drive Night to benefit the Middle Georgia Community Food Bank. All fans who bring a canned good to the game will receive a $10 ticket.
Single game tickets are on sale through the Macon Coliseum Box Office or at ticketmaster.com. For information on group tickets and ticket plans, visit MaconMayhem.com or call the Mayhem Front Office at (478) 803-1592.
Images from this story
Mayhem Earn First Home Victory of Season
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2017
- RiverKings Roll over Rail Yard Dawgs - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Knock off Roanoke - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mayhem Dominate in 5-1 Win over Birmingham Bulls - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke Defeated by Mississippi - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears Win Streak Clipped by Rivermen - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Opportunistic Ice Flyers Down the Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Earn First Home Victory of Season in 6-4 Win Over Evansville - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke scores three times in third period to force Over time - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Macon Mayhem Stories
- Mayhem Release 2018-19 Jersey Designs, Pre-Order Starts Monday
- Kevin Irwin and Jarrett Kup Re-Sign with Mayhem
- Mayhem Re-Sign Zach Urban, Add Gordon Defiel to Create Strong Goaltending Tandem
- John Siemer Re-Signs for Third Season with Mayhem
- Mayhem Release Full Regular Season Schedule