Ice Bears Win Streak Clipped by Rivermen
Knoxville, TN Justin Greenberg, and Christian Horn each scored two goals, Dave Pszenyczny had three assists and the Peoria Rivermen defeated the Knoxville Ice Bears 5-3 on Friday night in front of a patriotic crowd of 3,742.
Knoxville had their four-game win streak snapped. The Ice Bears hadn't lost since their season-opening loss at Mississippi. Knoxville finished 0-7 on the power play.
Michael Chen scored from the high slot less than two minutes into the game to give Knoxville an early lead. Horn tied the game up midway through the first period with a one-timer in front of the crease fed from behind the net.
Anthony Flaherty's wrist shot from the left circle beat the left shoulder of Eric Levine at 14:22 of the first to give Knoxville a 2-1 after 20 minutes.
Greenberg scored off a one-timer at 5:13 of the second and again with a backhand with less than a minute remaining in the period. Jacob Barber scored at 13:43 during Peoria's three-goal second period.
Tommy Kelley brought Knoxville back within one with just over three minutes left in the game with a goal from the right hash, but Horn responded for Peoria 24 seconds later to seal it for the Rivermen.
Zoltan Hetenyi stopped 27 shots for Knoxville. Eric Levine made 23 saves for Peoria.
The two teams head back to Peoria for the back end of a home and home. The game can be seen on live on www.sphllive.com or by joining fellow Ice Bears fans at the official away game viewing location, Crown & Goose. The Ice Bears return to Knoxville next Friday when they face the Fayetteville Marksmen for Mo'Vember, a tribute to Men's Health. Tickets available by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2017
- RiverKings Roll over Rail Yard Dawgs - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings Knock off Roanoke - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mayhem Dominate in 5-1 Win over Birmingham Bulls - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke Defeated by Mississippi - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Ice Bears Win Streak Clipped by Rivermen - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Opportunistic Ice Flyers Down the Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Mayhem Earn First Home Victory of Season in 6-4 Win Over Evansville - Macon Mayhem
- Roanoke scores three times in third period to force Over time - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.