Richmond Drops Road Series Opener at Somerset, 10-1
BRIDGEWATER, N.J. - A plethora of multi-run innings pushed the Somerset Patriots to a 10-1 victory over the Richmond Flying Squirrels Tuesday night at TD Bank Ballpark.
In the first ever game played against the Patriots (23-13), the Flying Squirrels (21-16) struck out a season-high 17 times.
Somerset opened the scoring in the first inning with an RBI groundout from Oswaldo Cabrera that scored Oswald Peraza. Somerset has outscored opponents 39-14 in the first inning this season.
Vince Fernandez evened the score, 1-1, with a solo home run in the second inning. Fernandez now leads the Flying Squirrels with six home runs and is tied for 10th in the Double-A Northeast in long balls.
The Patriots took a 3-1 lead with a two-run second inning. Isiah Gilliam hit a sacrifice fly that brought home one run followed by an RBI double by Matt Pita to put Somerset ahead by two.
The scoring train kept going for the Patriots in the third inning courtesy of a two-run homer from Diego Castillo that increased the lead to 5-1 off Richmond starter Michael Plassmeyer (Loss, 0-1).
A three-run fifth inning expanded Somerset's advantage to 8-1 off a two-RBI single from Castillo and a solo home run from Donny Sands.
R.J. Dabovich made his Double-A debut in the seventh inning. He allowed a two-run home run to Sands to extend the Patriots' lead to 10-1 while collecting three strikeouts through the inning. Sands had his second multi-home run game of the season.
Plassmeyer finished his Flying Squirrels debut with 4.2 innings pitched, allowing career highs in hits (10) and runs (7).
Somerset starter Glenn Otto (Win, 3-2) fanned 14 Flying Squirrels over 7.0 innings, tying a season-high mark.
The series between the Flying Squirrels and the Patriots continues Wednesday with a first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Luis Medina will make his Double-A debut for Somerset opposed by right-hander Caleb Kilian (1-0, 2.25) for Richmond.
The Flying Squirrels are back at The Diamond for a six-game series against the Binghamton Rumble Ponies from June 29-July 4. Tickets for the upcoming homestand go on sale starting Thursday, June 17.
Tickets will be available online at SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets, by phone at 804-359-3866 or in person at the Flying Squirrels offices.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from June 15, 2021
- Patriots Offense and Otto Too Much for Squirrels - Somerset Patriots
- Early Lead Holds as Sea Dogs Take Game One over Rumble Ponies - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Fall to Sea Dogs in Series Opener at Mirabito - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Senators Rally but Fall Short in 10 - Harrisburg Senators
- Richmond Drops Road Series Opener at Somerset, 10-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Contreras K's 10 in Tuesday Night Defeat - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Lose Nailbiter 3-2 To Akron - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Walk off on Curve Tuesday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- RubberDucks Take 3-2 Opener over First-Place Bowie - Akron RubberDucks
- Stassi, Sullivan Prove Talent in Extras Victory - Reading Fightin Phils
- Tuesday Night's Fisher Cats - Yard Goats Game Suspended in First Inning - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hartford Yard Goats Game Suspended in New Hampshire - Hartford Yard Goats
- New Crop of Yankees Prospects Assigned to Patriots - Somerset Patriots
- Rumble Ponies Release July Promotions & Tickets - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- June 15, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels Fall in Narrow, 2-1 Battle
- Flying Squirrels Allow Five Unanswered Runs in 5-3 Loss
- Flying Squirrels Drop Tight Battle, 5-4, against Baysox
- Squirrels Snap Slide with 5-2 Win over Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Lose 6-1, Extend Season-High Loss Streak to Six Games