Reyes Rips Homer, But 'Caps Fall
DAYTON, Ohio - In a game that followed a script similar to the previous four games, the TinCaps competed in a down-to-the-wire contest on Wednesday night at Fifth Third Field against the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate). But after winning consecutive tight games on Saturday and Sunday, Fort Wayne fell for the third time in a row, by a final of 6-4. Following a four-game series with the Bowling Green Hot Rods, this marked the start of a three-game series and a weeklong road trip for the Summit City squad.
The Dragons (25-33, 53-75) scored twice in the bottom of the eighth inning to break a 4-4 tie.
Dayton's dagger came after the TinCaps (24-34, 57-69) plated three runs in the top of the seventh to even the score. Third baseman Ethan Skender hit a two-out, two-run single and second baseman Ripken Reyes ripped a game-tying double.
Initially, two batters into the game, Reyes, a rookie drafted out of the University of San Diego, gave the 'Caps a 1-0 lead on his first home run with the team after joining the club on Saturday. The Dragons, however, put up a pair in the third and two more in the sixth to build a 4-1 lead.
Fort Wayne starter Efraín Contreras battled his way through five innings, allowing two runs on five hits with three strikeouts and two walks. It continues an impressive run on the bump for the 19-year-old. Since July 30, Contreras has allowed six earned runs in 23 2/3 innings (ERA of 2.28) with 20 strikeouts.
Thursday, Aug. 22 @ Dayton (7 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Cullen Dana
- Dragons Probable Starter: RH Eduardo Salazar
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Six-Run Fifth Sparks 'Caps Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars Stun Snappers with Six-Run Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers Ride Early Lead to 5-2 Win Over Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Early Lead Not Enough as Beloit falls 9-8 - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Suffer One-Run Loss in Homecoming - Lake County Captains
- Roberson Sets the Tone in Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Velazquez Crushes Walk-Off Homer to Beat Lugnuts 3-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lofstrom, Hernandez Lead Dragons to 6-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Brettell Pitches Chiefs to 2-0 Win over Quad Cities - Peoria Chiefs
- Reyes Rips Homer, But 'Caps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Blanked 2-0 in First Game of Series at Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Dominates Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Camels Fall for First Time - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers in Hot Rods Third-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Velazquez HR Walks off Lugnuts, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Matt Wallner joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 21 vs. Bowling Green (Game 126) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.