Roberson Sets the Tone in Shutout Win
CLINTON, IA - Josh Roberson tossed six shutout innings and the Clinton LumberKings rode two big innings to a 9-0 thumping of the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Wednesday night at NelsonCorp Field. The win is the LumberKings (35-23, 68-59) sixth shutout win of the year and trims their magic number to clinch a playoff spot to nine.
The scoring started immediately for Clinton with three runs in the bottom of the first against Cedar Rapids (32-26, 71-57) starter Luis Rijo. Three straight hits opened the inning with the third by Peyton Burdick bringing home the first run of the night. Evan Edwards capped the rally with a two-run single to right.
Rijo (5-8) settled down following the first to set down a string of 12 straight batters until running into trouble again in the bottom of the sixth inning. He ended his night having allowed five runs on seven hits over 5.1 innings with no walks and seven strikeouts.
In the bottom of the sixth, Clinton broke out to score six runs on eight hits and sent 12 men to the plate. At one point, the LumberKings registered five straight hits with the second being a 401-foot home run by J.D. Osborne that was his eighth home run.
Roberson (2-4) needed little run support in a strong six inning assignment. He allowed no runs on just three hits while walking none and striking out six. The win ended his four-game losing streak and set the stage for the shutout win.
Nathan Alexander and Peyton Culbertson worked the final three innings and combined to shutout the Kernels the rest of the way to end the night with one of the LumberKings most complete wins of the season.
The LumberKings will meet the Kernels for game two of their three-game series on Thursday night. Clinton will throw righty Tanner Andrews (6-4, 3.94) while Cedar Rapids will tap righty Matt Canterino (1-0, 0.90). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
"Thirsty Thursday" marks the second game of the LumberKings series with the Kernels. All game long fans can enjoy $2 select beers sold throughout the ballpark! The LumberKings will be taking the field for the final time of the year in their throwback Clinton Pilots jerseys and hats.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Six-Run Fifth Sparks 'Caps Rally - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars Stun Snappers with Six-Run Comeback - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers Ride Early Lead to 5-2 Win Over Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Early Lead Not Enough as Beloit falls 9-8 - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Suffer One-Run Loss in Homecoming - Lake County Captains
- Roberson Sets the Tone in Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Velazquez Crushes Walk-Off Homer to Beat Lugnuts 3-2 - South Bend Cubs
- Lofstrom, Hernandez Lead Dragons to 6-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Brettell Pitches Chiefs to 2-0 Win over Quad Cities - Peoria Chiefs
- Reyes Rips Homer, But 'Caps Fall - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits Blanked 2-0 in First Game of Series at Peoria - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Dominates Wednesday's Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Camels Fall for First Time - Great Lakes Loons
- Qsar Homers in Hot Rods Third-Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Velazquez HR Walks off Lugnuts, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Matt Wallner joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 21 vs. Bowling Green (Game 126) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.