Remy, Patterson, and Roberts Combine to Whitewash Hot Rods 1-0
South Bend, IN: After being shutout last night to start the series, the South Bend Cubs rallied back on Friday night to whitewash the Bowling Green Hot Rods 1-0 in game two. The Cubs held the powerful and dangerous Hot Rods lineup to just four hits with lights out performances from starter Peyton Remy and relievers Jack Patterson and Ethan Roberts.
The night started with Remy and Bowling Green starter Matthew Liberatore dueling it out through the first half of the game. South Bend was held hitless through five innings, but also walked twice along with two hit-by-pitches.
Liberatore finally surrendered his first hit when Brennen Davis chopped a double down the left field line in the 6th inning. The next batter was Tyler Durna, who punched an RBI single up the middle past shortstop Wander Franco to score Davis. This would be the only run of the ballgame. With Remy already out of the game after five shutout innings and four strikeouts, Jack Patterson became the pitcher of record.
Patterson locked down the middle innings and finished his night in the 8th with a strikeout looking of baseball's new top prospect Franco. The Hot Rods were threatening with runners at the corners, but Patterson's 3-2 pitch was right down the middle for strike three.
In the 9th, Ethan Roberts worked a 1-2-3 frame and picked up two strikeouts of his own. He grabbed his eighth save while Patterson earned his fourth win.
The Cubs will look to take the series lead in game three tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Left-hander Faustino Carrera will take the hill for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Liberatore K's Seven Cubs in 1-0 Loss on Friday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Drop Fifth Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- DeMers, Conley combine for gem against Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Late Run Pushes Rattlers Past Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Remy, Patterson, and Roberts Combine to Whitewash Hot Rods 1-0 - South Bend Cubs
- 'Caps Swept, No-Hit by Captains - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Fall to Cedar Rapids in Extra Innings - Peoria Chiefs
- Early Lead Doesn't Hold as Bandits Fall 4-2 in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels Bounce Back for 11-Inning Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nuts Shutout Dragons, 4-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons bounce back to even series with TinCaps with 6-3 win - Great Lakes Loons
- Lansing Pitching Trio Shuts out Dragons on Four Hits, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Ruiz Reaches Four Times, But 'Caps Fall to Loons - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 21 at Great Lakes (Game 70) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniel Ozoria and Petru Balan join Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons on TV Saturday & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Launch Meals for Medical MVPs
- South Bend Cubs Host Second Virtual Game on May 24
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Curbside Concessions
- Hot Dog Takes Top Seed in Concession Madness
- South Bend Cubs and Weigel Broadcasting Co. Extend Television Deal for 2020 Season