Red Wings' Jeff Manship Named International League Pitcher of the Week
ROCHESTER, NY - Rochester Red Wings' righthander Jeff Manship today was named International League Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 16-22.
Manship went 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA (3 ER/12.0 IP) in two starts, winning Tuesday at Norfolk (Orioles) and yesterday in the first game of a doubleheader at Durham (Rays). The 27-year-old combined to strike out 11 and walk only two. His seven strikeouts Tuesday were his most in a game since July 23, 2010, when he fanned seven in 4.2 innings vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Yankees).
Manship, who was selected by the Twins in the 14th round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, is 6-1 with a 2.29 ERA in 17 games (nine starts) with the Red Wings overall. He ranks second on the team in wins, one behind leader Liam Hendriks. Manship is 2-0 with a 1.08 ERA (3 ER/25.0 IP) in five starts since being optioned from the Minnesota Twins on June 27.
The Texas native is 4-1 with a 2.20 ERA (11 ER/45.0 IP) in his nine starts and 2-0 with a 2.50 ERA (5 ER/18.0 IP) in eight relief appearances. He is the second Red Wing to earn IL Pitcher of the Week honors. Hendriks picked up the award for the week of June 4-10.
The Red Wings return home tomorrow night for the start of a four-game series vs. Syracuse (Nationals). Gametime is 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 23, 2012
- Indians Outlast Mud Hens 2-1 in Fourteen - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall to Indy in 14 - Toledo Mud Hens
- G-Braves Finally Trump Yankees, 10-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Sweep Bisons, Win Finale 9-6 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Pen Combines for 6-Hit Shutout - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Top Bats, Take Three of Four - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Braves Salvage Final Game of Series with 10-6 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Stellar Pitching Leads Tides over Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons to Host Free Movie Night with "Despicable Me" on BisonsTV HD Board - Buffalo Bisons
- Washington Nationals' Jayson Werth and Chad Tracy in Rochester - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Charlotte at Buffalo (7:05 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets OF Mike Baxter Joins Bisons on MLB Injury Rehab Assignment - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, July 23 at Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- McPherson Named IL Player of the Week - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Host Gene Cook Foundation Baseball Camp for Kids - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings' Jeff Manship Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Werth and Tracy Scheduled to Rehab in Syracuse - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.