Red Snappers Walk It off in Back-To-Back Games
PORTLAND, ME - The Maine Red Snappers walked it off for the second-straight night with a 6-4 victory over the Harrisburg Senators on Saturday night at Hadlock Field. Tied 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Tyreque Reed hit his first Double-A homer, a two-run blast to centerfield and the Red Snappers won their second-straight game.
Zack Kelly earned his third victory of the season tossing 1.0 inning allowing two runs on three hits while walking one and striking out three. Josh Winckowski was stellar in his start for the Red Snappers pitching 7.0 innings allowing two runs on two hits while walking one and striking out two. He retired 18 consecutive batters.
In the top of the second inning, Jake Alu hit a groundball to the second-baseman, Tanner Nishioka but he threw the ball out of the reach of first baseman Tyreque Reed and Alu advanced to second. He then came home to score on an RBI groundout by Gilbert Lara. With two outs, Gage Canning sent a pitch to left centerfield. Ryan Fitzgerald sprinted in to field the ball, but it bounced off his glove and Canning was on first. He then came around to score on an RBI single by Cole Freeman and the Senators led, 2-0.
In the bottom of the sixth, Nick Sogard led off with a single to right field. Pedro Castellanos then popped up a fly ball in the infield. Castellanos collided with Jake Alu in the basepath and both runners were ruled safe because of interference. Reed ripped an RBI double to left field and the Red Snappers continued to trail, 2-1.
Portland took the lead in the bottom of the eighth inning. Ryan Fitzgerald and Jhonny Pereda drew back-to-back walks then the bases were loaded when Nishioka singled to right field. Sogard was then hit by a pitch by Ryan Tapani, and Fitzgerald came home to score, tying the game 2-2. Castellnos singled to left field, driving home Pereda and the Red Snappers led for the first time, 3-2. Reed then drove a sacrifice fly to right field scoring Nishioka and extending Portland's lead, 4-2.
In the top of the ninth inning, KJ Harrison and Alu reached on back-to-back singles then came around to score on a two-run double by Gilbert Lara. The game was tied, 4-4.
After a leadoff single by Devlin Granberg, Reed crushed a walk-off two run homer to centerfield and the Red Snappers won, 6-4.
The Senators and Sea Dogs meet tomorrow for the series finale at 1:00pm at Hadlock Field. LHP Chris Sale is scheduled to pitch for Portland while Harrisburg will send RHP Jackson Tetreault to the mound.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from July 24, 2021
- 'Ducks' Crooked Innings Nip Flying Squirrels in 11-7 Defeat - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie Slugs Another Five Home Runs Across Marathon in Binghamton - Erie SeaWolves
- Baty's 6 RBI Propel Ponies to Wild Win over SeaWolves - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Capitalize on Long Ball to Top Patriots on Saturday Night - Altoona Curve
- Ghost Crabs Walk Off Yard Goats 6-5 - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Bullpen Sharp in 6-0 Loss to Reading Saturday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Score Three in 9th to Drop Yard Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Show Power in Win over Patriots - Somerset Patriots
- Six-Run Fourth Gives R-Phils Victory over Fisher Cats - Reading Fightin Phils
- Red Snappers Walk It off in Back-To-Back Games - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Walked off by Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- July 24, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Information - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.